Add spacer on top of the hamburger menu for easier access

Right now all the important menu entries are at the very top and the left of the screen which is the most inaccessible place for most users. Screens are still getting larger so this is a real problem.

This spacer could be of a standard (~1/4 screen height?) or user defined height and could be empty or contain design elements or information. Information could be stats about the podcasts (how many, how long, etc.), the current time and designs could be random wallpapers, pattern or the thumbnail of the currently playing podcast. Would be cool if the spacer could be shown or hidden like the other menu elements.

I think as a start a blank spacer would be enough to achieve better usability and could be implemented fairly easily. Any bells and whistles could be added later.

Could you please share what version of the app you are using and what version of Android?

What do you mean with?

I appreciate you may feel the hamburger menu is inaccessible for you personally, but I’m not sure if that’s what you are referencing. Can you please clarify?

Which spacer? Where are you proposing it should be placed and for what purpose? Can you provide a screenshot with something designating where you think this spacer should go? I don’t fully understand the purpose of it either.

I want them to add a spacer on top of the navigation drawer to bring the menu entries down the screen so it is easier to reach with the thumb.

Read this:

https://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1927

1 Like

Cheers! Very interesting to read and well thought out. Now I understand your point.

I also wonder how difficult it would be to allow the user the option to decide which side (left or right) of the screen the menu appears on?