AntennaPod 2.3.0 release notes

Manual, full list of changes in 2.3.0 that users should maybe know about, based on a 2.2.1 vs develop commit comparison, in chronological order.

And more changes that are less noticeable by end-users
  • Replace Java-based feed filtering with SQL-based (#4985, @ByteHamster)
  • Store only encoded content or descripion, not both (#3974, @ByteHamster)
  • Several contributions to modularisation (#4661, @ByteHamster)
  • Show podcast-specific settings in preferences search (#4990, @peakvalleytech)
  • Fix regression: flashing progress bar (#4995, @ByteHamster)
  • Make buffering indicator a bit less visible (#4997, @ByteHamster)
  • Exclude non-functional notification settings screen from settings search for newer Android versions (#5011
  • Show notification in podcast view header when updates are disabled (#5014, @datavizard)
  • Display up to 6 lines of podcast title on podcast info screen (#5032, @peakvalleytech)
  • Fix certain file types not being recognized in local feeds (#5039, @CreamyCookie)
  • Use FragmentContainerView in settings (#5066, TacoTheDank aka @Taco)
  • Add link to relevant settings screen in ‘Episode cache full’ dialog (#5088, @tamizh143)
  • Add ‘Notifications en/disabled’ filter on Subscription screen (#5098, @tamizh143)
  • Add animation to play button (#5113, @ByteHamster)
  • Wrap long alternate version text in podcast version dropdown (#5120, @jhenninger)
  • Use VectorDrawable compat library (#5116, @ByteHamster)
  • Stop thumb jumping to current postion while seeking (#5141, @jonasburian)
  • Refuse to show future dates, display first known date of appearance instead (#5146, @ByteHamster)
  • Disable ExoPlayer id3 extraction to avoid issues with malformed audio files (#5160, @ByteHamster)
  • VideoPlayer rework (#5162, @ByteHamster)
  • Fix wrong time being synced on pause (#5165, @thrillfall)
  • Add click and long-click functionality to podcast & episode title in player screen (#5074, @ueen)
  • Make the filtered notification on podcast screen more visible (#5170)
  • Fix stuck swipe refresh indicator (#5196, @jhenninger)
  • Remove explicit font specification from shownotes (#5190, @ByteHamster)
2 Likes

And here a cut-down & stylised version for the different stores:

* Support for tagging (grouping) subscriptions (@ByteHamster)
* Redesigned player screen (@ueen, @jonasburian, @ByteHamster)
* New dialog to set feed update interval/time (@FivelMttz, @peakvalleytech, @ByteHamster)
* Chapter dividers & -navigation in the progress bar (@jonasburian)
* Contribute entry in settings screen: see how you can help! (@peakvalleytech)
* Support Podcasting 2.0 Funding tag: display as links on podcast info screen (@tonytamsf)
* Pull-to-refresh on Queue screen (@datavizard)

(500 characters, so should fit exactly)

Items that I had initially selected but dropped off the list
3 Likes

Apologies to everyone who received a tonne of notifications, btw (from GH & the forum).

One other note (to self also): Database size: Only store content_encoded or description by ByteHamster · Pull Request #3974 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub needs more extensive testing. Beta users might do good to back-up their database before upgrading, @ByteHamster?

I did quite a few database upgrades during development and I think it should be okay. Will have a close look at the beta comments on Google Play and the crash reports.

Just fixes something I broke when adding folder support :slight_smile:

I would remove the word “basic”. It really is basic but I’m pretty sure users will already like it as-is. Instead of “podcasts”, I would write “subscriptions” - that’s a bit more clear, now that some people use the same word for episodes.

Podcasting 2.0? I think that’s what most users called it on Twitter recently.

2 Likes

Triggering an update on Github is a good thing because it signals that we have acted and are releasing the fixes. Yes it is more updates for the contributors and maintain, but it is a good thing for most people to see the communications when we release.

1 Like

Excited for the new release! :dancer:

2 Likes

:+1:

Thanks - I first forgot but it actually should be the Podcast Namespace Funding tag. But that doesn’t fit, so Podcasting 2.0 it is :slight_smile:

I’ve updated the post above.

What does that mean? Read about it before but didn’t find a good definition, I think maybe another term might be more descriptive after all.
What I’m thinking of is the web 2.0 - meaning that there is user generated content but that’s probably not what is meant, is it?

Edit: did some more googling, so there is a podcast that is called “Podcasting 2.0” and another “2.0 Podcast”, when searching for Podcast 2.0 there is one result (third last) which refers to Breeze, an app that facilitates payments to creators. So in the end this is just classical Crowdfunding like Patreon or Steady, is it not?

Podcasting 2.0 is a movement/initiative that’s all about decentralisation and enabling podcasters to do their work independently. I would certainly recommend to listen the Podcasting 2.0 podcast, which explains it all way better and in greater detail. (Simply find it in AntennaPod :wink: And I’d recommend to start with the first episode!)

Part of it is the Podcast Namespace, which is a an extension (namespace) to the RSS standard, allowing podcasters to include more information in their feeds. This information can then be used to create new podcasting apps/experiences. The Funding tag is just one of the extra types of information that can be included.

For those active in the Podcasting 2.0 community, this term is an important flag. Using it (rather than something like ‘crowdfunding’) hopefully helps with communication around AntennaPod coming along with the movement.

1 Like

Read about it at podcastindex.org and the new APIs they offer

2.3.0 Roll-out progress

• 2021-06-16: 2.3.0-beta1 submitted to Google
  • 2021-06-17: 2.3.0-beta2 rolled out to 10% of the beta testers
  • 2021-06-19: 2.3.0-beta2 rolled out to 20% of the beta testers
  • 2021-06-22: 2.3.0-beta2 rolled out to 50% of the beta testers
  • 2021-06-25: 2.3.0-beta3 rolled out to 10% of the beta testers
  • 2021-06-26: 2.3.0-beta3 rolled out to 50% of the beta testers
  • 2021-06-29: 2.3.0-beta3 rolled out to 100% of the beta testers
  • 2021-07-11: 2.3.0 rolled out to 100% of the beta testers
  • 2021-07-12: 2.3.0 rolled out to 5% of the stable users