AntennaPod 2.4 release notes

Hello,

Another version is in prep! Here’s a manual, list of changes in 2.4.0 that users should maybe know about, based on a 2.3.2 vs develop commit comparison, in chronological order of the commits.

List of PRs that were merged
PR author title
#5235 ueen Allow to copy email address from shownotes
#5036 peakvalleytech Hide keyboard when not searching in settings
#5130 peakvalleytech Introduce multi-select & actions for episode lists
#5253 peakvalleytech Introduce multi-select & actions for episode lists (2)
#5184 FarzanKh Update download icon
#4839 tonytamsf Better de-duplicate episodes (based on unique ID, media url or title)
#5264 ByteHamster Ignore pull-to-refresh when there is no network
#5265 ByteHamster Update ‘visit website’ icon
#5266 ByteHamster Introduce multi-select & actions for episode lists (3)
#4833 Thom-Merrilin, ByteHamster Check podcast’s Auto Download preference before auto-downloading (and remove option from episode context menu)
#4722 tonytamsf Improve behaviour on bluetooth and headphone disconnect
#5268 ByteHamster Remove ‘visit website’ from episode context menu
#5191 ueen, ByteHamster Introcude swipe actions on podcast’s episode lists
#5271 ByteHamster Introcude swipe actions on podcast’s episode lists (2)
#5274 tonytamsf Better de-duplicate episodes (based on unique ID, media url or title) (2)
#5277 jhenninger Fix pull-to-refresh not working on empty queue
#5279 ByteHamster Better de-duplicate episodes (based on unique ID, media url or title) (3)
#5294 ByteHamster Show speed dialog on single click
#5296 ByteHamster Update ‘synchronisation’ icon in settings
#5308 ByteHamster Remove image cache size setting and choose size automatically
#5311 ByteHamster Adapt wording: remove last occurance of ‘feed’ and replace with ‘podcast’
#5309 ByteHamster Remove left/right volume controls in audio settings
#5315 ByteHamster Fix crash when setting sleep timer to zero
#5317 ByteHamster Remove image cache size setting and choose size automatically (2)
#5321 ByteHamster Improve chapter mark support (skip id3 extended header if present)
#5329 ByteHamster Introduce support for subscription deeplink (cf Create an 'Open in AntennaPod' link – AntennaPod)
#5330 ByteHamster Display correct episode info in notification when continuous playback is disabled
#5335 ByteHamster Fix shownotes of multiple episodes being printed on top of each-other in subscription view
#5336 ByteHamster Fix slow restarting of episode after long pause if queue is long
#5338 ByteHamster Add search option to subscriptions screen
#5341 myslok Fix podcast cover being shown after adding a new tag
#5281 vbh Make accidental pull-to-refresh less likely
#5348 ByteHamster Fix adding new password protected podcasts
#5344 vbh Allow to tag a podcast from podcast contextual side menu
#5326 thrillfall Fix episodes not being marked as played in some cases when syncing with gPodder (relies on gPodder.net PR, though)
#5351 ByteHamster Move queue lock feature to the overflow menu
#5261 peakvalleytech Introduce multi-select & actions for the Subscriptions screen
#5358 ByteHamster Better de-duplicate episodes (based on unique ID, media url or title) (4)
#5361 ByteHamster Only change item state if it is actually in the inbox ??
#5365 ByteHamster Hide keyboard when not searching in settings (2)
#5366 ByteHamster Introcude swipe actions on podcast’s episode lists (3)
#5387 ByteHamster Better de-duplicate episodes (based on unique ID, media url or title) (5)
#5189 ueen Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5221 hannesa2 Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5200 TacoTheDank Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5312 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5310 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5355 TacoTheDank Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5356 thrillfall Behind-the-scenes code improvements (sync)
#5357 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements (sync)
#5359 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5360 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5362 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5364 ByteHamster Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5369 TacoTheDank Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5370 TacoTheDank Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5372 TacoTheDank Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5368 TacoTheDank Behind-the-scenes code improvements
#5383 ByteHamster Introduce swipe actions on podcast’s episode lists (5)

Now moving on to make a curated list of noteworthy changes.

3 Likes

Fix adding new password protected podcasts

That fix was also backported to 2.3, so users already have it

Only change item state if it is actually in the inbox

This is about the swipe actions. Using the “remove new” swipe action on played (not new) episodes marked them as unplayed. Now it does nothing.

2 Likes

Allright, please see below a curated list of all changes (PRs), minus the 2.3 backport and #5326 because it relies on an open PR with gPodder.net. Would it make sense to release it as a blog post?

Several smaller fixes & improvements:
1 Like

And here’s the <500-character release notes that I’d propose:

NEW & IMPROVED:
- Multi-select for episode lists & on the Subscriptions screen (@peakvalleytech, @ByteHamster)
- Swipe actions on episode lists (@ueen, @ByteHamster)
- Playback after bluetooth/headphone dis- & reconnect (@tonytamsf)
- Pull-to-refresh: less likely accidental refresh (@ByteHamster, @vbh, @jhenninger)
- Show speed dialog on single tap (@ByteHamster)
- Restart episodes faster after a long pause (@ByteHamster)
- Tag podcasts directly after long-pressing in the side menu (@vbh)

Not sure if this is an apt summary, but sure @ByteHamster will check. I’m specifically unsure about the swipe actions: did the PRs also introduce the ‘Inbox’ screen? Don’t recall…

I didn’t even remember some of the changes, so I’ll just trust you there :slight_smile:

I would omit the title. It’s just additional text that users need to parse that doesn’t actually transport new information.

No, it didn’t

Not sure if I would explicitly mention that. Maybe rather something like “bug fixes”? It’s not really a feature.

1 Like

That’s why I included improved in the title :wink: (Even bug fixes I think are good to specify if they were (potentially) noticed by many people.) But you’re right, better to not include that heading.

Updated proposal:

- Multi-select for episode lists & on the Subscriptions screen (@peakvalleytech, @ByteHamster)
- Swipe actions on episode lists (@ueen, @ByteHamster)
- Fixed playback restart after bluetooth/headphone dis- & reconnect (@tonytamsf)
- Improved pull-to-refresh (less likely accidental refresh) (@ByteHamster, @vbh, @jhenninger)
- Show speed dialog on single tap (@ByteHamster)
- Restart episodes faster after a long pause (@ByteHamster)
- Tag podcasts directly after a long-press in the side menu (@vbh)

Ok, thanks. But the claim ‘swipe actions on episode lists’ is fair, right? If it’s pretty much available on all lists (queue, podcast overview, Episodes) then this description should be fine, but don’t remember what I tested :stuck_out_tongue:

The episodes screen doesn’t have it yet but I think it’s still fair

1 Like

Cool. Did you still want to wait for the folder > tag renaming, or will you go ahead without? It could even be added in a next beta or regular point release, no?

It causes quite a few translation changes, so I would prefer to either add it to the first beta release or wait until the next version

1 Like

I just pushed the first beta. Let’s include the folder»tag renaming in the 2.5.x releases.

Appears I misread your previous post :stuck_out_tongue: Why do you prefer not to include it in one of the later betas?

If we already know we’re gonna change the name of sth I’d keep the old name as short as possible. And there’s little to no risk of extra bugs with this change, no?

(More general question: Will you do another pull of translations before the final 2.4 release? If so, I should maybe send a message to translators.)

Because it contains translation changes and because (even though most of it is just renaming), there are quite a few code changes.

Usually yes, if I don’t forget :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. Maybe I misunderstood but multi select is not available on all episodes list, isn’t it? I can’t find it there. Only in queue, subscriptions, download and podcast details screens.
Maybe the release notes could be more specific about that (I was too happy for a sec… Until I found out :wink:)

Hello @klint,

Thanks for voicing your thoughts.

I’m the developer responsible for the new multi-select feature and you are correct, it is not available on the episodes screen. The reason for this is the extra complexity involved.

Because I did not know how many users would want it, I decided against implementing it.

If you would like, you can create a new issue here or on github so others can vote for it.

Thanks for that feedback @klint.

@ByteHamster What d’you think? Worth updating before final release? I don’t see a quick way to detail it further without getting too long.

I don’t really care too much :slight_smile: Can be updated if someone finds a good text but can also be kept.

1 Like

Hello,

When looking into Pocket Casts, the only nice thing I found I kind of missed in AntennaPod was swiping episodes to adding to the queue. So I was happy when I read about the Inbox + Swipe Actions discussion. Now with the ability to choose what the swiping should do, this implementation is even better. :+1:
The only thing is, that it’s not available (yet) wtith the main episodes list. Am I guessing right it will be included when the new Inbox arrives, can you roughly say when it will ready? Either way, I think it’s just another thing for looking forward to. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I assume that with the ‘main episode list’ you mean the ‘All’ tab in the Episodes screen. It’ll be replaced indeed with the ‘Inbox’ screen if/when it arrives. I hope it’ll be in the next version (2.5), which might release towards the end of the year. But one can never say for sure. The work is largely done, but not finished, and the original author didn’t have much time any-more. I’m keeping my fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: But let’s see :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Restore quick queue lock/unlock