AntennaPod Hackathon!

I propose we have another agenda where new contributors can come and we can help them setup their dev environment for AntennaPod. We can help them with a good_first_issue and point them to how to navigate the code to find where to fix the issue.

The outcome would be to increase the number of first contributors.

We can do this in a 2 hour block, like an open office hour for new contributors.

3 Likes

Doodle is good, but how about some open source software?
Found
https://rallly.co/ (looks really nice)
or
https://framadate.org/ (seems popular)

1 Like

I tried rallly.co, but it doesn’t allow to specify whole weekends, nor does it allow to indicate “maybe’s” (so we could as well use a poll directly in the forum here). I signed up for the mailing list about the ‘new version’, though I don’t have high expectations (last update was in 2018).

On framadate.org you also can’t set date-ranges, but that’s acceptable. It’s however a pain to add a large range of dates, and not convenient to fill in, with horizontal scrolling (copied from doodle, which is also a pain - what is the benefit of horizontal scrolling?!?).

And I used cally.com, which is the English version of the dutch datumprikker.nl which I find most convenient. Not open source, but at least GDPR-friendlier than Doodle (and without the annoying horizontal scrolling).

So, now I have three polls, of which I’ll share only one link :grin:

Hope that’s acceptable to everyone :slight_smile:
EDIT: I see you have to leave your email address after filling in the data. If you don’t want that, feel free to leave an address from 10minutemail.com (though you wouldn’t be able to update your response) or keunes+APpoll+[your username]@mailbox.org if you want to be able to update your reply later (I can then forward any codes necessary).

2 Likes

Have any Portuguese speaker for Hackathon

@neiesc Do you mean to ask if there are any Portuguese speakers that will be joining? So far, I don’t think, but more people are always welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks to ByteHamster, Tony Tam and ueen for replying. So far, 9 July is the best option (that’s in 3 weeks). @Taco @Matth78 @peakvalleytech and anyone else: if you still want to join the poll, please do so by Saturday latest. I propose we close the poll and book the date Sunday morning.

@keunes yes yes, but I don’t speak English very well :frowning:

1 Like

@neiesc I understand that joining the group discussions in English can be a challenge. I could ask the Portuguese translator team if they want to join. Then you would have someone to chat and exchange ideas with in Portuguese. But then someone would need to share the ideas in English. Otherwise the group is not able to use your ideas.

In any case, if you can understand English, but aren’t good in writing: you could write on deepl.com and copy the translation in the common chat.

I have no preference, especially since as I am not a developer I won’t be able to do a lot.
Besides, sorry about that but it is likely I will have difficulties to be fully available all weekend. :worried:

I forgot that I was on a family weekend so couldn’t post an update here, but let’s make the weekend of 9 July official :slight_smile:

I think what we need to do next:

• select the exact time of the call
  • decide on a programme? We already come up with a list, but maybe people can indicate their interest so we can make a schedule so everyone can join their favourite bits? Or do you think that might be a bit too much?
  • for the bugs/features we (you folks) want to tackle, I feel it’s best to set up a different thread (volunteers, anyone, to kick off the discussion with wishes/ideas?)
  • prepare some comms to announce (I can work on that - if anyone wants to help…)

Great. I hope I won’t forget.

I just added an “event” to the first post. If you indicate there that you are going, you should get a reminder email the day before :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, when should we have the kick-off meeting?

• Friday noon-ish US, early night EU (e.g. 12:00 NYC, 18:00 CEST)
  • Friday early night US, late night EU (e.g. 16:30 NYC, 22:30 CEST)
  • Saturday morning US, noon-ish EU (e.g. 08:30 NYC, 14:30 CEST)

0 voters

If you have another idea, please do share! And maybe we could all share our exact timezone (or city), so it’s easier to plan. I’m in Brussels, CEST.

Hello @ByteHamster @ueen @Matth78 @tonytamsf @neiesc @peakvalleytech and anyone else interested to join the hackathon.

I’ve just created a tiny survey to map who is interested to do what during the hackathon:
https://survey.antennapod.org/index.php/337359

It’s not anyonymous, but with that info we can connect the right people, and get a sense for what we’d like to prioritize :slight_smile:

I hope that by next weekend we can draw some conclusions.

1 Like

Done!i signed up, looking forward to meeting everyone

3 Likes

@tonytamsf @ByteHamster @ueen @Matth78 @peakvalleytech @mavek
A ping to you all that in 18 hours or so the hackathon kick-off meeting will start! :smiley: We can do a quick introduction round, discuss what we want to work on, and I guess also brainstorm implementation for some of the things.

Here’s the link to the meeting space: https://meet.antennapod.org/hackathon
If you don’t feel comfortable speaking: there’s a chat option, and if you want you can use deepl.com to translate your thoughts.

Hope to see you there!

2 Likes

Looking forward to the hackathon. Could you tell me the time/date and timezone of the real time meet and greet? I will put that into my calendar and alarm.

Should be 18pm CEST :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’ve had a great kick-off meeting, and found a bunch of topics that we would like to discuss & follow-up in a live discussion. So here they are:

• Saturday 10:00 CEST, about Swipe actions, Inbox, Bottom navigation, Episode states & possibly also the Home screen
  • Saturday 15:00 CEST / 13:00 UTD / 06:00 (AM) PDT, about Podcasting 2.0 features, particularly chapters, transcript & possibly also the new Discovery screen
3 Likes