Bring data from one Samsung to another

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)
Latest

Device model:

S20 fe 5g

Expected behaviour:

Save backup from priof A8 (successful)
Open backup on new device (unsuccessful)

Current behaviour:

Told app cannit access file in downloads. It has all required permissions, none denied.

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)
Yesterday.

Steps to reproduce:

1. This
  2. Then that
  3. Then this
  4. Etc.

As described above. Import backup dies not work.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)

An export includes only subscriptions, state of episodes (such as whether they have been played or not) and information about which ones that are queued to play. The export will not include the actual audio files of the episodes. Those will need to be downloaded again.

Does the above explain what you’re experiencing or did I misunderstand the issue? In case it does, do you have a suggestion on how to make the user interface more clear in setting expectations correct?

Many thanks for your reply! It turned out after contacting Samsung, that no data from the SD card came across, so I created a backup manually, but it could still not be read on the new device. It seems that apps were still looking for an SD card and couldn’t read internally stored files. I was told by Samsung to backup everything to a desktop and re-download it. However interestingly, as soon as I connected the cable I was given a menu where I could grant file access, and the problem resolved itself before I had to do the backup process. That is, Antennapod read the backup file.

In answer to your question, I did not necessarily expect actual episodes to come across, I wanted exactly what the export file created. I don’t remember any instructions about it, but do suggest that a short summary would be great, if it’s not there already (having spent 9+ hours on sorting this out, specific details are blurred by now!). The problem was not yours in the end. Samsung needs to be much clearer how smart switch works (no data from SD card but apps will be trapped looking for it anyway).

For other readers’ information, it turned out after all this that the Samsung S20 can have an SD card OR 2nd sim (nothing that I found online or from Samsung made this clear). So when I put the SD card into the sim slot I could copy other files across too. Then I put my Sim 2 back in and I THINK I’m finally good to go.

I hope this is clear - nothing else in this process was! I envy my friends who move between apple devices and all this nonsense is done for them.

Many thanks again.

1 Like

Good to hear you got sorted. Just one thing, when I got my S20 it was very clear and up front that it could take either an SD card or a second SIM. But then it was my first Android phone, moving from Windows Mobile (a very late adopter! :smile: ) so I really took a lot of time to ease myself into the new ecosystem, slow and steady wins the day as Marge Simpson said.

I outsourced transfer/setup to husband!! Who is quite the techie to be fair. But I also looked up Samsung info online and a tedious number of videos and not once was an sd card referred yo. I yhink that is because tge s21 and s22 (per Samsungchat) do not have ad capability, and thet dominate information. I certainlynmastered slow - I will buy an iPhone innpreference to going through this again! Thanks again, also for super fast response.

Sorry for typos, on smartphone this time.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.