Can't delete old episodes anymore!

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
2.4.0-beta1 (1e94fa59e)
Play store version

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)

Device model:

Expected behaviour:
Used to be able to select all played episodes & delete them

Current behaviour:
Ui changed, can’t select & delete anymore

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)

Steps to reproduce:

1. This
  2. Then that
  3. Then this
  4. Etc.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)

Stacktrace/Logcat:

[if available]

In which screen was it possible to delete all downloaded and listened episodes?
If it was in download screen you can still long tap an episode, choose multiple edit, select episodes and delete them. (But for selection you have to select manually or select all and unselect unlistened one)

Yes, it was in the downloads screen.
There was a filter option, and it allowed me to select all played episodes - and then delete them.

This was very useful to help de-clutter the phone, especially when AP used up several gigs of storage.

P.s. I’ve been meaning to suggest making such cleanup automatic :stuck_out_tongue:
And before you suggest it, I don’t like the option to delete episode as soon as it’s done. I want a delay of a few days. Episode Cleanup opinion doesn’t do it properly either, it only activation when storage is completely filled up.

1 Like

Case in point: right now AP is taking up ~2.5GB in storage, but I only have ~300M of podcasts it my queue.
Many episodes in my history are from a feed that splits a long news segment into small stories, so there are >100 files in the downloads which could be removed…

@Fry-kun Do you use auto-download? You can, as you indicated, enable Episode Cleanup (even with a delay after finishing). If you set the episode cache a bit lower, it’ll delete episodes before your phone storage is actually getting full.
Otherwise automatic cleanup should be discussed in context of https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod/milestone/47, specifically https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod/issues/5236 I think (Proposal for Auto Download Redesign might be the relevant forum post).

But regarding your original issue: doesn’t the new mechanism work for you, like @Matth78 described? Or is it the fact that the filter is not available any-more?

Yes, I use auto download. I keep having to set episode cache to 500 or unlimited because if I set it lower, I keep hitting the problem of new episodes not getting downloaded (as I mentioned, some feeds have a lot of short clips). This mechanism doesn’t work, plain & simple.
IMHO double-purposing the “episode cache” is the big issue here. Delayed deletion should not rely on this setting at all and instead just do exactly what it’s told, “delete everything >N hours old”, perhaps on a schedule

I looked through #5236 briefly, and that’s not what I want. I don’t want to manually manage the exact size allocated to AP. It should have a dynamic behavior, living with other apps on the phone.

Yes, the lack of filter is making my life painful right now.

I am surprised this feature was removed. I subscribe to a enormous number of podcasts (for which AntennaPod is superb!) and download far more than I get time to listen to. Up to now I would occasionally use a storage analyser in a separate file manager app to work out which podcasts were using most storage and then go back to AntennaPod to delete the ones I was unlikely to listen to using multiple select and edit. I noticed this process had been improved recently - when you marked and deleted multiple shows it told you how many of the marked shows were actually present to be really deleted.

Scrolling down a long feed, long pressing and deleting shows one at a time is a bit tedious. The easiest solution now to clearing out a feeds files seems to be deleting the subscription and then resubscribing.

Did you know that AntennaPod has an integrated feature for this? Have a look at Settings » Statistics » Downloads.

You can still multi-select and delete all episodes of a single subscription. This issue is about multi-select on the “downloads” screen no longer having a filter.

I just stumbled upon this thread, and I have the same issue as @Fry-kun. This made AntennaPod strictly worse for me than before. I always used the filter to quickly delete episodes that I had downloaded but that had been removed from the queue. I regularly have 20+ episodes like that. Deleting or selecting them manually is tedious. Auto Delete only deletes episodes that have been listened to until the end. Episodes → All has a filter but no multi-selection.

I guess I have to experiment with the setting that automatically removes episodes from the queue when they are deleted. That might solve most of the problem. Instead of removing episodes from the queue and deleting them whenever, I will just have to delete them. (Why is there no swipe action for deleting episodes, btw?) Still, I think there should be an easy way to delete all downloaded episodes that are not in the queue. Because why would I keep them?

It’s a bit of a bummer that you would release a new version that makes the UX worse.

I still like AntennaPod, and I am grateful for all the work that you put into it. I hope I don’t sound too negative.

1 Like

Definitely need to add the filter back to the downloaded episodes screen.

Hi @Eric_LaRoche
Welcome to the AntennaPod forum.
The Downloads screen will not get a filter back. Instead, if you want to apply actions to a specific group of episodes (e.g. downloaded & played), this should be possible.

We plan to add multi-select to the “all episodes” list, where extensive filtering is already possible. Then you can flexibly filter the list, use “select all” and perform an action. Given that AntennaPod is developed by volunteers that might take a bit of time, though.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Right now, “All episodes” both doesn’t allow multi select, and also don’t allow for download deletion. Are you saying we need to wait for both to be added?
Also, what will be the purpose of “Downloads” at that point? Just leaving the log?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.