Catching up with backlog and auto download

App version: 2.4.0 (F-Droid)

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
When I subscribe to a new podcast there may be 254 episodes released in the past. Only the first ones are labelled as “new” (I do not know what determines this).

I wish to listen to the whole thing, in chronological order, but since only the “new” episodes get to be auto downloaded, I have been doing this job manually.

Suggested solution:
Please let me know if there is already a better way to do this. I have found none so far, but I expected to be a common need.

The simplest way I can think of achieving this objective is if it was possible to select episodes (all, some) and tag them as new. This ability could help select from what point one wishes to listen to (all, this year, the last 5,…).

From the UI point of view it should not change much and from the technical point of view I expect it to be simple, also.

Thank you for your attention.

1 Like

There is already a selection tool to select some or of the episodes:-

1. Press and hold the first listed episode
  2. Choose Multiselect from resulting drop down menu
  3. Tap symbol top right to select all episodes
  4. Tap edit symbol bottom right to Mark unplayed (ie new) / Download all the episodes.

Sure. I know about it. It is just missing the “tag as new” bit, since I don’t want to download hundreds of episodes in one go.

I’m looking into having episodes auto downloaded as I listen to them. Say, cache 10, clean up after listening.
That way I can be sure to always having an episode to listen to, even if I lack an internet connection.

Thank you for trying to help.

Is there a difference between “Mark unplayed” and “New” then? Seems not for your purpose.

Auto download only works on episodes marked with “new”. Or am I mistaken?

Actually, as I am re-reading the documentation on auto-download, I am seeing

When enabled for a podcast, all of its future new episodes are automatically downloaded and added to the queue. They will automatically be removed from the Episodes » New page as soon as they are downloaded.

So maybe tagging the episodes as “new” may not change anything after all, since only episodes seen for the first time are downloaded automatically. :slightly_frowning_face:

In that case, is there any way to get the flow I wish: download episodes in regular steps?

In your position I would either download the lot in one go or if you are limited for space in say ten episode batches.

Then this auto download feature is very limited and not useful to me. How sad.

Doing it manually is a chore. :slightly_frowning_face:

Thank you for your contribution.