Changing playback speed in version 2.4

Which is why I suggested allowing for just a few quick access buttons (say four) to be assignable by the user. It is then down to each user to decide what functionality is most important to them to available as quick access and what can be left buried deeper in the UI.

I just installed version 2.3.2 and I prefer that, for sure.

The 2 features that I’ve referred work exactly how I like them. For now I will keep this version.

1 Like

You should give 2.5 a try when it comes out. It will address the two points you mentioned as problems with the 2.4 speed selector. I just tried the debug build with the changes and it’s a nice improvement. Just be careful with up & downgrading with the database - I believe AP will complain if a database from an earlier version is imported. Best to keep a copy/back-up of the oldest version you’re on before experimenting.

The changes will go into 2.4 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t wait for it, its one of the little things that always bothered me but didn’t think was worth bringing up, its finally fixed yey

1 Like

The version I am using has the toggle among the speed settings. I like that. By what I saw in the discussion I believe that that will not be available anymore.

The issue about accidentally pressing the delete is not an issue if I am using the toggle.

I will have a look at it but the version 2.3.2 is fine for me.

I also prefer the old way of the button be a toggle instead of pulling up the menu, especially because I only ever switch between 2 speeds.
Maybe set it so if someone only has 2 (or maybe 3) presets, the button will just toggle between the 2, and then long press to open the menu. And then if they have more presets, single tap will open the menu.
Or put an option in the settings that lets you choose between the 2.

4 Likes

I also prefer the old tap toggle speed change.

I’ve 8 presets, between x1.0 to x2.0, but I don’t need to see the whole lot every time I do a speed change. I want to just tap the corner of the screen, something I can do blindfolded.

2 Likes

Can we please have an option of restoring the old version?
I had 3 presets (x1, x1.25 & x1.5) and could navigate between them in 1 or 2 taps on a single button. Now I have to press the button and look for the option I want. No to mention the fact that the “+” looks like an “increase speed” button.

The new version makes changing playback speeds labor intensive. So intensive that it brought me to writ this message.

Please, if you won’t go back to the old version, at least enable users to choose it as an option from the settings menu.

3 Likes

I would second opinion on this post. Previous behavior of changing speeds was very sleek and unique. No popular player had this functionality and i loved it.

The main reason being fixed position of button in corner changing speed was easy without looking at app. This allowed me to switch between slow, medium and fast speeds.

For any kind of nuanced setting long press worked perfectly. This is now sadly gone !

Also settings, top bar and speed button (lower left) all have some functionality which opens slider and settings.

I would propose to go with older approach or atleast allow to go back to old behavior using settings.

2 Likes

Did you know that you can set per-podcast playback speeds, so you don’t have to switch manually?

I think people complaining are the one which change speed for the same podcasts. Otherwise I don’t think UI is problematic.
I think too new UI is harder when you want to change speed on the fly. Dialog is better suited when fine tuning your speed and you are not driving for instance. :wink:

1 Like

TBH this is totally the wrong kind of thing to be fiddling with while driving: Play / Pause / Pullover are the only three options I consider (relatively) safe.

1 Like

Yes. But that is not the issue here.

I was not the one who said it was an issue.

Yes i know but its not helpful because podcasts i subscribe to have different guests and for same podcast speed may vary based on guest. Also at times there are topics which i know about or are repeated which i want to go over faster.

Due to this its is very frequent for me to modify speed within same podcast where old speed button was immensely helpful.

2 Likes

I’d really like to upvote this post. Please just provide some hidden feature in the settings that could magically restore the old toggle functionality. Before, I could toggle through the speed settings without even looking at the screen. I could do it while driving without even taking my eyes off the road. But now, with The new dialogue, I have to put on my glasses to even see the presets.
I don’t want to be overly particular, but this is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

4 Likes

Welcome on the AntennaPod forum both :slight_smile: May I ask how many playback speed presets you have?

I have 3 playback speed presets.

1. 1.25 and 1.35
2 Likes

I have four: 1, 1.5, 1.75, & 2 (and I never minded cycling through them.)

2 Likes