Still having this issue - Podcasts not finishing nor marking as played which prevents continous playback

Continuing the discussion from Podcasts not finishing or Smart Mark as Played:

App version: 2.5.2(F-Droid)

Android version: 12

Device model: Pixel 6

Expected behaviour: Podcasts should finish, be marked as played and then continue to the next podcast in queue

Current behaviour: Playback stops at end of podcast, podcast is not marked as played, next podcast does not start.

First occurred: Has been happening a long time, ever since I switched to the Pixel 6 from my 3A and copied the database/podcasts over.

Steps to reproduce:

1. This
  2. Then that
  3. Then this
  4. Etc.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)

I use Samsung Level U bluetooth headphones.

Maybe a dumb question, don’t want to embarass you, however, did you check in settings if continuous playback is activated?

In German it would be “Wiedergabe” then subcategory “Warteschlange” (Queue?)

Yes, continuous playback is set.

It isn’t every time, it does continuous play, until it doesn’t. I think its a bug in the smart mark as played. Where it isn’t marking ended podcasts as played and going to the next one.

1 Like

:thinking: this reminds a behavior on my installation, when there’s no next file in the queue - it then just stops. The episode is marked “played” and deleted, but it remains in notification area… Can you relate?

If no one else is having this problem I’m going to just have to move to another podcast app. It makes it unusable for me.

I can’t believe I’m the only one, but It’s been a long long time and nothing seems to fix it.

Best of luck I guess but I’ve given it plenty of time to be fixed/figured out and i can’t keep having to mark as played and delete every episode after its done.

1 Like

Sorry but no such problem on my device. :-/
Does it happens only with some podcast or all? As you suspected it might be a bug from smart mark as read did you try to turn it off? (Mine is set to 15 sec) Which multimédia player are you using ? You can check on settings, playback and it’s the last entry. Exoplayer is default, other players are no longer supported. Maybe you are using an old one which has a bug?

I am no developer but logically since others have no problem. I would say it can only be :

• related to android 12 ? Don’t know if there is a lot users using it
  • playback player if not set to Exoplayer
  • particular audio format from podcast you are listening to (it may explain why other does not have this problem)

Don’t know if it would be a good idea to export your log after it’s failing? It may contains info about player failing to read next episode?

At last a common Android solution is also to clear app cache data. Again not sure it would help. :confused:

2 Likes

So I think I’ve figured out somewhat when/why this is happening.

It only really happens when i’m using my phone while listening to podcasts. So Antennapod in the background. It also seems to be happening while I’m playing certain games. I always go to my game settings and disable sounds in any way possible, but when a podcast ends and i’m playing a game it doesn’t mark as complete and doesn’t go to the next podcast.

Its as if it is checking the state of requests for audio on my phone and sees the game and won’t start another podcast.

i’m not a code guy but can someone check and see if there is something that might do something like that?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.