Suggestion: Option to select default starting tab/page

App version:
2.0.2 (ee4b2c055) (Google Play)

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
Apparently the app always starts with the page or was on when closing it.
I’d prefer that I can set a page (e.g. subscriptions i.e. Abonnements in my German version) that gets displayed whenever I’m starting the app.

Why? Because I’m not always on the page I want the app to start on when I’m closing it.
Typically I’m listening to an episode right before closing it so when I open the app up again, I’m starting on the waiting list (I’m guessing that’s what it’s called in English since the German version is ‘Warteliste’). So if I want to change to something that doesn’t happen to be on the waiting list, yet, or just want to update the subscriptions to see if there’s a new episode, I have to first tap around to get where I want to be in the first place.

Suggested solution:
Add an option to the UI settings, maybe even right below the theme selection, that let’s us select the page we want to get displayed when we open the app always.

Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details:
Here’s an example of how a very basic checkmark menu to select the page would look like with my preferred setting:

[ ] Waiting List
[ ] Episodes
[ x ] Subscriptions
[ ] Downloads
[ ] Last Played

1 Like

Do you know the “Back button behavior” setting? When setting it to “Go to page”, it basically sets a “main” page that it goes back to. That main page is then started when opening the app the next time.

1 Like

The problem with that is that I typically want it as what you’d expect a back button to do - go back one instance. Setting it to go to a specific page would cause me to tap around even more just to get to where I want to be.

Have you tried using the setting? The back button still goes back to the previous page but when there is no page left (and the app would otherwise close), it does what is set there.

I hadn’t tried it before as that feature was of no interest to me. Now I just did and while it indeed does behave as you’ve described in your last reply it does not as you’ve said in your original reply:

You wrote “That main page is then started when opening the app the next time.” - that unfortunately is not the case! Antenna Pod still opens on the page it was before being closed.

To be honest the current behaviour makes most sense to me. It gives a feeling of continuity.

I get why you’d be interested in such option, but it’s not really catering a new use case, but rathrer addressing a (minor) inconvenience. That I think does not warrent an extra option in the settings, of which we have many already. Plus there is a relatively easy workaround (pressing back until the app closes).

What we could improve, though, I think is whrn the app is force-closed (swiped away). My ‘Go to’ screen is the Queue (that’s the English term), but when I go to Subscriptions > Podcast X > Episode N after a force close I go back to Subscriptions. I would argue this should either be Episode N or the Queue.

Well, it’s a minor inconvenience to you. For me it’s such a big inconvenience that I’m about to go back to using podcast addict.
What’s continuity for you is annoyance to me. It’s hours after closing the app, maybe a day or rarely even more than one. I want it to start new (on subscriptions) just like I’ve startet the app new. And by the way, just kind all the other podcast apps at doing it that I’ve tried. So to me it’s odd that antenna pod does it different to begin with - continuity apparently wasn’t what came to my mind. Unfortunately I cannot code or I’d supply the change to get merged in, but… Anyways. Thanks for the reply.

Right, fair enough. Indeed it’s all about perspective. I reckon it’s not ideal, but is hitting ‘back’ until you exit the app not an option? (Because this way it should land you on your desired page on next open.)

Also wondering: do you ‘force close’ the app? I.e.: do you swipe the app away from Android’s app overview at any point?

Hitting the back button several times before closing the app or tabbing through the menu to get to where I want it to be during startup - it’s all the same. It comes down to be annoying if you have to do it all the time when it could be so simple as just being on the subscription page as all the other podcast apps (that I’ve tried) are doing it. Calling it inconvenience before was an understatement but back then I decided to went with your wording.

Typically I’m listening either before I sleep or even into my sleep. And then I ‘force close’ the app (and any other that’s still open and not needed) either before I put it away or when I use it again first thing in the morning. Hence me talking about starting the app in the original post, not re-opening it and about closing it instead of minimizing it.

I can have the Queue, Subscription or Episodes page launch by creating another launch icon.

1. Long Hold the AntennaPod icon in my launcher
  2. Select Subscription
  3. Drag that to my launcher, as a new Icon
  4. From now on I launch AntennaPod using the new icon

That’s nothing any of my launchers would let me do. On none of my phones.
I get the options to create a folder, to delete the icon or to uninstall the app.

Thanks for sharing that use-case. Then I reckon the following would solve your problem (if you also set the back button behaviour in the settings):

I’ll create an issue for that on GitHub, where the development of the app happens.

Ok, GitHub issue now created: 'Go to' screen setting not always respected · Issue #4859 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub
@Eric_M, do you think that correction would solve your use-case?

To be hones I don’t really understand what you meant (when you originally posted this) and mean now:

What we could improve, though, I think is whrn the app is force-closed (swiped away). My ‘Go to’ screen is the Queue (that’s the English term), but when I go to Subscriptions > Podcast X > Episode N after a force close I go back to Subscriptions. I would argue this should either be Episode N or the Queue.

Are you suggesting to make it go to Episode N or the Queue when opening again after force closing?
Are you suggesting that the App should open on Subscription when force closing it from either Podcast X or Episode N?
Are you suggesting that I set the back button behaviour even though it’s not solving the issue at all?

Either way, if you mean that the app should open on whatever page is set to for the back button behaviour should also be the page the app opens in after being force closed then yes, that would solve the issue. That would basically make the back button behaviour setting a start page setting - which is what I originally was asking for.