4x1 Widget not correct when queue is empty

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)

Device model:
Pixel 6a

Expected behaviour:
When the queue is empty and there is nothing to play, I expect the widget to show that.

My queue is empty. In fact I’ve removed the download. The widget shows:

• The podcast image
  • The play/pause button is set to play, ie ||
  • The title and time of the podcast show.

If I press play, back or forward, nothing happens as expected, but given the widget status, I’d expect it to play.

I’d expect the widget, upon reaching the end of the list, to:

• change the icon to some generic icon - perhaps the antenna logo
  • Pause turns to Play
  • The name erases or changes to –
  • The time/length/current time mark should be --:–:–

Current behaviour:
Upon reading the end of the queue, the widget hangs on to the image, title, time and play state of the last file played.

Wile dropping a second widget to get the steps, the second and first widget went to exactly what I want:

• “No media playing”
  • Antennapod logo on the left
  • Play/Pause set on Play

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Drop a 4x1 widget on your phone background.
  2. Set the ticks for Playback speed, Rewind, Fast forward and Skip episode
  3. Add a episode to your queue. Pause halfway through.
  4. Observe the widget - icon, name, title, time
  5. Finish the episode. The app should stop and be silent
  6. Observe the widget. It’s stuck on the last values and states it’s playing, but time isn’t moving.
  7. Drop a second 4x1 widget. ooo, they change here. This is what I want, this view right now, but not having to drop a widget to get it.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)
Does not apply, but would be happy to enumerate anything asked.

Stacktrace/Logcat:

[if available]
1 Like

Hi @andbenn,
I was about to copy the bug report over to the development platform, but noticed that you didn’t indicate which AntennaPod version you have. Could you please indicate that still? You’ll find it via Settings > About.

I think it’s 3.1.1, it is just listed under the Android version not the App version since the Pixel 6a launched with Android 12 (not the default 5.x from the template).

I will say I’m seeing odd widget behavior as well, and it’s continued since updating my Pixel 7a to Android 14.

The widget has basically just become my shortcut to access the player within the app itself since the play/pause behavior on the widget is inconsistent. I will frequently press play on the widget and while the icon changes to pause indicating it should be playing, when I open the app the actual player is still paused and displaying the play icon. Once I start playback there it works as expected.

Yes, I do have AntennaPod 3.1.1. And I did have Android 13 up to date on my Pixel 6a, September 2023 version. But recently got Android 14 days back and still having widget issues.

Apologies for botching the two fields on my report.

I have also seen the problems @Nilex mentioned, and probably related, the notification (which isn’t always present during play).

1 Like

Thanks @andbenn. I’ve created an issue on the development platform: Widget not reset (keeps showing episode) after playback of last episode in the queue ends · Issue #6711 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

@Nilex If you’re seeing other odd behaviour with the widget, please don’t hesitate to create a dedicated bug report. With a full bug report with all the required info we’ll be able to copy it to the development platform.

Thanks @keunes

Does the widget relate to the notification? I have seen issues there and will file a separate issue if it’s not related to the widget code.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.