Ability to skip ads in the podcast

App version: 2.0.0 (Play Store)

Feature you want: Ability to skip ads and sponsors in the podcast

Suggested solution: Users submit when a sponsor or ad happens in an episode, and it automatically skips sponsors it knows about. Supports skipping other categories, such as intros, outros and reminders to subscribe.

Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details: This is something already exists for Youtube videos maybe can be integrated in podcasts too.

Hi @Draconian

Thanks to the AntennaPod community forum! (And sorry nobody replied until now)

I personally don’t have any podcasts with ads that I’d want to skip, but I get this feature might be interesting. You’re not the only one to bring up SponsorBlock - it’s been mentioned also in this GitHub issue (where AntennaPod’s app development happens).
It’s an interesting concept & process, but I guess quite complex to integrate, both on a technical level as well as in the UI, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up this gets implemented quickly.

I guess we should discuss here just that: how it could integrate in a nice way in the UI. Would you have any ideas for that?

I only have two podcasts that I listen to that contain ads. On both of them, the ads are almost always the same length and the ad is always prefaced by a bell or a chime. I just have my fast forward button set to skip ahead 15 seconds, which is usually enough to skip the ad. The only time I don’t do it this way is when I am driving, because my partner feels it is unsafe and I’d have to agree.

1 Like

For reference, they spoke about it on Podcasting 2.0: Episode 8: Chapter 8 http://adam.curry.com/html/PC200820201023Podcas-mRC5pZ8HF6nPtDV1rXdFVk2mLL476n.html [00:34:03]

1 Like

When I am driving I uncheck the Forward Button Skip, and Android auto would do fast forward when you press the skip button, works even on bluetooth

1 Like

I think you could make it work with one extra button in the player controls.

Press the button to “Start Segment” at the current time and press again to record the end of the segment. Then open a little pop-up with a menu for selecting the type of segment and a check mark to submit the data.

Sponsorblock allows you to use the service passively, without contributing yourself, and it still works very well. So I think people should have the option to hide the button and still have the feature turned on.

The progress bar should indicate the skipped segments with a different color like the add-on does.

I honestly think this would be the ultimate killer feature and would make AntennaPod very popular very quickly.

1 Like

Thanks @FeederPilot for chipping in! A few thoughts.

Nice idea. Do you know of other apps that implement this? Any idea for a kind of icon? Where in the interface do you think it could be placed (taking into consideration that the interface is currently nice & clean, and that we want to keep it that way)?

I see your point. But a) this would introduce yet another setting (in addition to the settings required for the integration) b) I would make an argument for making such functionality always available: if you want to benefit from it, you should (be able to easily) contribute to it. An option to hide this encourages leeching.

Good idea.

That’s what I thought of ChromeCast support when it got introduced. I lost faith in single possible killer features ever since :slight_smile: Different users, different needs…