AntennaPod won't search for new episodes automatically, must be open

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)

Device model:
SM-G986W

Expected behaviour:
AntennaPod will search for new episodes of my subscribed podcasts every hour and download any that have appeared.

Current behaviour:
AntennaPod does not search for new episodes unless it is open. I notice I haven’t received anything for a day or more, so I open the app and suddenly it’s found 3-4 new episodes and begins downloading.

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)
About one week ago.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Wait at least 48 hours
  2. Notice that no new episodes have come in
    3 open AntennaPod
  3. Watch multiple new episodes begin to download

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)

I have auto download enabled. App is set to scan every hour. App is not sleeping. Notifications enabled. All permissions enabled. I have not made any changes that would lead to this behaviour.

Stacktrace/Logcat:

[if available]

Could it be an issue with battery optimization? Perhaps turn battery optimization off for AntennaPod and see if the auto downloads then happen. Maybe?

2 Likes

Good call! I though that by ensuring it wasn’t sleeping, I had done my due diligence. But when I looked in the settings, sure enough, it was set to optimization. With that turned off, I’m sure things will get better.

1 Like

Setting this to ‘solved’ but please do chip in again if the issue still appears.