Automatically Skipping Ads

A lot of podcasts have automated ads added to them in the language of the IP address you’re downloading the podcast from. These must get added according to fairly predictable patterns (times, positions in the episode). They also tend to sound quite different from the rest of the episode (different speaker / audio quality / background music).
Another possibility would be to let users select when an episode has ads, such as in SponsorBlock for YouTube, which is then made available to everyone else.
It would be really neat (and a feature that would set this app apart) if it could skip them automatically.

1 Like

Hi there,

You can look at the following thread where It’s been discussed :
https://forum.antennapod.org/t/ability-to-skip-ads-in-the-podcast/212/

As far as I remember the consensus is that implementing such a features would harm podcasts. (Which I agree)

What is possible right now is to go to specific settings for a podcast and set an auto skip time for intro and outro.

4 Likes

Yes, please. What he said & more. Continuing the rampant propensiation of requiring users to stop all (ALL) other activity to “tend the baby” by having to set controls to skip every (EVERY) ad interruption is among the reasons many of us (ME!) skip podcasts altogether. I don’t “tune-in” to hear the latest episode of Amos & Andy or The Lone Ranger. Partners scattered around the globe use podcasting to reach folks in remote areas & others with narrow windows of i’net access. When ads are lumped in planned & known groups (3 to 5 min), controls can be set to record without wasting that space for income producing ads. That annoyance should be all in one spot.

1 Like