Back up the app's settings

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
I want to be able to back up the app’s settings.

Suggested solution:

Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details:

1 Like

The ability to backup your database and everything associated with it already exists. Or are you specifically referring to the granular settings such as your theme and other UI, playback, network, storage, etc. Is that what you want to backup?

I don’t recall, because I haven’t done it in awhile. @ByteHamster do settings get backed up when someone dies a database backup?

1 Like

yes,back up theme and other UI, playback, network, storage…Not just a database.
:grinning:

App settings like theme are currently not backed up - just the database with subscriptions/playback state. This is already tracked on the developer platform: https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod/issues/4089

1 Like

+1 for a way to backup database with subscriptions/playback state + all your settings for the app.

I’m replying to this old thread to show my support for this idea. Please tell me if it’s best to open a new one instead.

1 Like

@Moloch981 For feature requests it’s always best to give a heart to the first post, or to add a comment if you want something slightly different, if you would like it to function in a specific way or if you want to share your use-case. (Creating new threads would make it more difficult to see the interest in a feature because the numbers would be spread out.)

@ByteHamster and @keunes - could we consider backing up user preference to the Google drive using Google’s Auto backup feature so when we restore our phones, all the preferences are restored? With 25 MB of max backup size, we might not be able to backup the sqllite database.

To me, it feels a bit strange to store settings but not the actually important things – the subscriptions. We already have an open issue for backing up the subscriptions: Store list of subscriptions (possibly settings) through Google's Auto Backup for Apps · Issue #1899 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub There is also some code that looks like it does something like this: AntennaPod/storage/importexport/src/main/java/de/danoeh/antennapod/storage/importexport/OpmlBackupAgent.java at develop · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub I don’t know if the code works, though. I don’t upload my app data to Google

In my opinion, backing up the settings is quite a low priority change. It might even be an advantage that users are reset to the default settings when changing devices. That way, potentially “misconfigured” settings get changed back to the default.

1 Like

I think it’d be helpful to have settings migrated, but I wouldn’t be in favour of doing it through Google as just settings alone are quite useless, only really relevant in conjunction with the content. So for me it should be included in the (full) database export directly from the app. (Or, at the very least, indeed in conjunction with the subscriptions, via Google.)

Maybe it’s not a good idea but why not store settings in exported database. On import user could choose what he wants to restore : database only, settings or both.

1 Like