BETA 3.4.1 "Skip Silence""

Samsung A52S Android 14

Since the update I found my podcasts sounding faster although checking, the speed was 1.00. Today, I listened to a sample from an audiobook and noticed it really sounding fast - so I checked and saw that the “Skip Silence” was checked on. The fastness was due to the many pauses for emphasis being skipped!

Is “skip silence” being checked on the new default? Or, as it is possible, did I inadvertently turn it on and it has stayed on?

Thanks!

I noticed the same thing the last time my AntennaPod was updated, so I suspect Skip Silence was activated as part of the update. Note that I am on 3.4.0 and don’t run the betas.

1 Like

This was introduced in 3.4.0: Skip silence setting per feed by quails4Eva · Pull Request #6910 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub
Fix default per-feed skip silence setting by ByteHamster · Pull Request #7101 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

And the skip silence checkbox also moved to the playback speed bottom card: Move 'skip silence' checkbox to playback speed dialog by quails4Eva · Pull Request #6834 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

Maybe either of these is related?

It shouldn’t be on by default, but I do think I saw others in reviews or socials mentioning the same. Maybe you had it turned on at some point in the past, affecting the setting somehow with these changes?

1 Like

That is certainly true for me. I had used the Skip Silence setting at times, and maybe an update somehow recognized that.

1 Like

As mentioned, possible that I had turned it on, but if so it was accidental - noticing that it was turned on was the first time I remember encountering the feature. Since you write that others may have mentioned similar instances, and it’s not a default, then something weird may be afoot! If so, probably due to a combination of causes as it seems to not be consistent.

1 Like