Boost Volume

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
F-droid Version 2.1.1

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
I want to have feature Boost Volume like in PocketCast! Because my phone not quite loud to listen audio even I use headphone and when it comes on me phone speaker is Sh**

8 Likes

I would really like to have a player (open source?) that offers volume boost, silence skip and variable speed playback. I think that if the project had those features, it would bea great bonus. Those features could almost be considered table stakes.

1 Like

Skip silence and variable speed playback are already supported. Volume boost (like basically all feature requests) is just waiting for someone who implements the feature.

2 Likes

When I try to enable these features (Motorola One 5g Ace / 2.2.0-beta2 (9f88e3c7c)) I have a choice based on the player. I am unable to have skip silence and downmix to mono both enabled. I don’t know which players have the variable speed option, but I would love all the options on one player. I have payed for two commercial podcast players and both required you to pick a player based on the options you wanted.

Options are in player screen and settings icon.
There you can turn on skip silence and change playback speed. There is also a mono option but available only if you choose Sonic player which is no longer supported. (You may have bugs using it so I really don’t recommend to use it)

For variable speed you can also tap the speed icon next to rewind button. It would allow you to change speed. To choose which speed to use you have to long tap and it will open a dialog. (This dialog is also accessible from apps settings and playback settings)

Finally it is also possible to define which speed a podcast should use by default when playing an episode. To do it you have to go to podcast screen (the one which lists episodes) and go to podcast specific settings.

3 Likes

My great desire would be for options like volume boost, downmix to mono, variable speed, crossfade, and others built in to the player. I just don’t think it is in the scope of this project.

1 Like

Definitely would be a great feature, but also compressor/limiter + EQ for when in interview podcasts one speaker is way quieter than the other, which still happens far too often.

3 Likes

I would like to tackle adding volume during our hackathon if not sooner.

3 Likes

Volume boost would be awesome. I always destroy my ears when I switch between antennapod and music in my car…

2 Likes

just idea, maybe it should be easy to solve rare low volume exceptions by any external app?
just add into share options also “path to downloaded file”? and I will choose “play in vlc”, having vlc installed (it has has 200% volume booster in its equalizer settings)
(maybe someone should prefer to pass mp3 path into any mp3 volume booster app and then play it in antenna?)

Sorry that I can’t offer to contribute code, but I really need the volume boost option or better normalisation for pods because some of them have very softly spoken hosts but loud guests (for example) and at present I can barely hear the softly spoken ones when using a Bluetooth FM transmitter to link to the car stereo.

It’s not as noticeable on headphones.

I do have mild hearing loss in one ear, which may be relevant.

I hope someone with the necessary skills can do this soon, as I absolutely love Antenna Pod

2 Likes

This is an essential feature for me.

For some reason, podcasts play very quietly in my vehicle. I have to have my phone AND vehicle volume maxxed out in order to hear my podcasts, and it still isn’t loud enough. God forbid I have to use GPS at the same time… the GPS voice is 5x louder.

I had the same issue on Podcast Addict, but that app has a volume boost feature.

Please consider adding this. It’s the only thing holding me back from replacing Podcast Addict with AntennaPod.

3 Likes

I have the opposite issue: in my headphones the volume is too loud, so I’m at a very low system volume. The problem is that the granularity of volume change in Android means it’s either too low or too loud.

It would be great to be able to adjust the volume for each podcast, as some are louder than others.

(Edit: while looking for Android solutions for this, I found that there is a setting in the developers options to turn off absolute volume, which means that I have two ways to control the volume: the headphones and the phone. I can find a better suited volume this way.)

1 Like

There’s an open PR currently: Add volume boost by matejdro · Pull Request #6573 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

1 Like