Cannot add podcasts in any way - OPML (hangs), Search (gpodder.net "down"), subscribe (Crashes in flames)

This is actually three bugs:

The first is that attempting to add from OPML results in a flash-up box which says: “Attempt to invoke virtual method 'boolean java.lang.String.equals…” and then nothing happens.

The second is that, when attempting to add ANY podcast from the add podcast area an exception happens and the app immediately crashes (crash report below)

The third is that when attempting to search using the gpodder search option: a message appears stating that gpodder.net is unavailable.

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
3.3.0 (084836481)
Google Play

Android version: 5.x
Android 14 (security update:: 2024-01-01)
Kernel: 5.10.177-android12-9-00001-g219d8dfbba07-ab10551810

Device model:
Redmi Note 12 Turbo

Expected behaviour:
Ability to add podcasts by any available means

Current behaviour:
Crashes on adding searched podcasts, inability to import Podcasts from OPML files (application hangs or fails to do anything, but does not crash when adding from OPML)

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)
Has always occurred on this device from my installation of the app, and through numerous updates (I REALLY want this app to work as I do not like the commercial options, and i need to migrate from Google Podcasts to something, so I just keep on hoping…)

Steps to reproduce:

1. go to any podcast in the add-podcast window
  2. click on subscribe

Environment:
This phone does not use any strange mods. Normal Environment is unchanged. I am attempting to open or add any podcast on an unmodified device. No other media player is being used.

The following is a representative crash report.

Stacktrace/Logcat:

• Environment

Android version: 14
OS version: 5.10.177-android12-9-00001-g219d8dfbba07-ab10551810
AntennaPod version: 3.3.0
Model: 23049RAD8C
Device: marble
Product: marble

Crash info

Time: 12-03-2024 04:48:07
AntennaPod version: 3.3.0

StackTrace

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'boolean java.lang.String.equals(java.lang.Object)' on a null object reference
at de.danoeh.antennapod.core.storage.DBTasks.searchFeedByIdentifyingValueOrID(DBTasks.java:148)
at de.danoeh.antennapod.core.storage.DBTasks.updateFeed(DBTasks.java:205)
at de.danoeh.antennapod.activity.OnlineFeedViewActivity.lambda$showFeedInformation$12(OnlineFeedViewActivity.java:455)
at de.danoeh.antennapod.activity.OnlineFeedViewActivity.$r8$lambda$hi785Ed59_1ny6L2vpKQJxreomE(OnlineFeedViewActivity.java:0)
at de.danoeh.antennapod.activity.OnlineFeedViewActivity$$ExternalSyntheticLambda8.onClick(R8$$SyntheticClass:0)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:7799)
at com.google.android.material.button.MaterialButton.performClick(MaterialButton.java:1219)
at android.view.View.performClickInternal(View.java:7776)
at android.view.View.-$$Nest$mperformClickInternal(Unknown Source:0)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:31135)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:958)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:224)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:318)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8759)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:561)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1013)

The reason for this probably is that you imported an opml file from Google Podcasts at some point. Sometimes Google generates invalid opml files.

In your list of subscriptions, is there any subscription that has no icon and no title?