Don’t know about the OP, but in my case, I’d also really like to see forward/rewind buttons on the lock screen, or in the notification. My use case is not in a car, but while on the bus/train or at home, earphones in ear, playing to the stereo via bluetooth, phone in pocket or on the table, and want to quickly skip an ad or rewind because I missed some important bit.
Pause/play (and next/previous) are already available on the lock screen, and for me are the quickest way to pause/continue in almost any situation, unless the phone is unlocked and I’m already interacting with Antennapod – so adding the skip forward/backward buttons to this set would be a time saver in almost any situation:
- if the phone is loccked and no other controls are available, it’s much quicker than unlocking the phone, switch to AntennaPod and use the playback controls. Example: You’re listening with “dumb” headphones and someone interrupts you, you can pause/continue fairly quickly from the lock screen, but cannot rewind to the beginning of the last half-finished sentence of the podcast which you missed because your attention was on whatever interrupted you and on getting to the pause button quickly …
- even if the phone is unlocked but focussed on another app, it’s quicker to draw down the notifications and tap a button than switching to AP (and possibly to the replay control screen, if that’s not shown already)
- when using my regular wired single-button headphones, or playing via the stereo at home, skipping is either impossible or pretty fiddly.
- even with my bluetooth headset with two buttons, skipping requires a long-press, which is still a bit fiddly since I need to take care not let go too early (which changes volume instead), and skipping several steps at once takes time, whereas tapping the lock screen a few times is way faster.
- When I did have a car, the steering-wheel-mounted controls allowed me to skip forward or back, but did not let me move to the next/previous track (except by skipping all the way through the current one – having all those buttons on the lock screen would make sure that both functions are always available, also for people who may not have such controls in their car, or where they cover a different subset of functions.
This being the first time I post here, of course I need to add that this is meant as a suggestion to improve Antennapod for everyone, not a demand. I quite like Antennapod, and will happily continue to use and recommend it if developers decide that the idea would cause other issues, be impractical to implement or too low priority to spend time on. I also can’t tell how much work would be needed to implement those buttons – the only thing I’m certain of is that it would make Antennapod easier to use for me, and I imagine there would be others to whom that also applies.