Change default storage folder to download

Hi,
I have a Samsung S24 and there the default storage folder is not even visible with the PC and the Phone connected via USB. I think that Samsung restricts this. The ARD Audiothek has its default storage folder in the download folder which is fine also for the S24. I fear that Samsung will restrict the normal default folder on all future devices so I would suggest to either change the default folder location to download or to make it choosable, even if one does not have an external SD-Card.Because otherwise all owners of future Samsung devices will encounter the problem to not being able to copy their files from the phone to the PC.

2 Likes

Hello,
I have the same request for a different purpose: I would like to save my downloaded mp3 files into Google Drive using the DirveSync app. Alas, I can’t access the downloaded folder with DriveSync, as Android keeps telling me “You can access this folder to protect your private life!” (I just have the choice to create a new folder).
Thank you for maintaining this great app and many thanks in advance :wink:

Does anybody know how or if I can change this to a feature request?
TIA,
Dani

Hi,
Even when the application is installed on the SD card, podcasts are downloaded to the memory of the phone.
It’s a curious choice. The SD card is very useful when you have a phone with little memory, but few streaming applications allow you to download files to the SD card.

I think you misunderstood. I would like to have the downloaded files in the downloads folder since this is accessible. The current default folder is hidden.

From my understanding it is difficult to change the download folder location. Google’s documentation of the API is not as good as it could or should be. I dived a little bit into the sources and also into Google’s documentation. I found out that Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory is deprecated. But it seems to be a pain to find the correct new method.Correct me if I am wrong.

Bit of a workaround solution is get hold an old phone or tablet running an older version of Android which is not so restrictive. Use AP on there to download the files to an accessible place then FTP them over to your preferred accessible location on you newer phone. May need to use a different media player app to organise and play them (I use Smart Audiobook Player for non-podcast listening).

This feature request on GitHub, where development happens: Allow exact control of download location · Issue #2379 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

1 Like

I have now found a solution that works for me. I wrote a Perl-Script that runs via crontab on my Linux server. It fetches the podcast feeds that I want to keep. These are Audio plays. It creates a separate folder for each audio play and stores there the mp3 file, the description in a file called info.txt and the itunes:image in a file called cover.[jpg,png,…]
So I can copy the folders into my Audiobooks directory where I listen to my Audiobooks with the Smart Audiobook Player. I love it to have a cover for each audio play. Inside the old Antennapod folder I did not have the covers so this solution suites me better.

But nevertheless I think that downloaded mp3 files are not considered sensitive data that belong to AntennaPod and should be deleted when AntennaPod is deinstalled.

Do you mean “should not be deleted”?

“not considered … should be deleted” I think, which boils down to the same thing :slight_smile:

I forgot the brackets: not considered (“sensitive data that belong to AntennaPod” and “should be deleted”)
In my opinion one wants to keep the downloaded files even if he or she or it deinstalls AntennaPod.
But I also think that it is very complicated to change the download directory since Google makes this hard.I found no method that returns the path to the downloads directory. I found lots of questions regarding this topic but no answer. I read really all of the documentation and in despair I looked into the sources of firefox since firefox stores downloaded files into the downloads folder AND it is open source. They use a workaround where they puzzle the filepath together.

One other point is that it is always a good idea to keep copies of downloaded files on another device or devices so even if AP did delete these files you have back up.