Concerns Regarding Translation Quality and Practices in AntennaPod Hindi Localization

I have noticed that the AntennaPod Hindi Translator has been translating without following the correct rules. Mostly, the translation is done by a user named “Agyat009”. The translation quality has been very poor. For example, he translated “Confirm” as “पक्का करें,” which is absolutely incorrect here. There are several other instances of incorrect translations as well. Furthermore, I recently read a topic titled “Date in Translation,” where he advocated for the removal of dots in “फ़” in “फ़र”. It seems he believes that “फ” and “फ़” are the same, but they are not. If we remove the dot (Nuqta) under the “फ़,” it will now be pronounced as “Phebruary” instead of “February.” “फ़” is pronounced as “fa” whereas “फ” is pronounced as “pha”. There is a significant difference between these two alphabets.

I strongly recommend him to use other well-known platforms in Hindi where they use “Nuqtas” correctly, such as Spotify, YouTube, etc.

Hi @HiTranslator
Thanks for bringing this up. @femmdi maybe we can pass on this message to the relevant user on Transifex?

In the meantime, @HiTranslator you can submit corrections, right? Or are they then reverted/rejected?

Here, I have provided some examples of incorrect translations:

Swipe right: Translated as “राइट स्वाइप करें”; Should have been “दाएं स्वाइप करें”.
Swipe left: Translated as “लेफ्ट स्वाइप करें”; Should have been “बाएं स्वाइप करें”.
“दाएं” and “बाएं” are well-known words which are being used in daily life by almost everyone. I find no reason for transliterating them simply “Right” and “left” in Hindi.

Past year: Translated as “आखिरी साल” ; Should have been “पिछले साल”. “आखिरी” means “Final, ultimate”. This is not apt as per context. “पिछले” is precise as per the context.

Reset statistics data: Translated as “आंकड़े खाली करें” ; Should have been “आँकड़ों के डेटा को रीसेट करें”. The original translation says “Clear the Statistics” which is very vague. “आँकड़ों के डेटा को रीसेट करें” is more precise as per the context.

This will erase the history of duration played for all episodes. Are you sure you want to proceed?”: Should have been: “इससे सभी एपिसोड का टाइम लॉग मिट जाएगा। क्या आप वाकई आगे बढ़ना चाहते हैं?”. The original translation says “ये सारे एपिसोड का टाइम लॉग साफ कर देगा। पक्का आगे जाएं?” which is hilarious. “पक्का आगे जाएं” must have been avoided. Here we are not dealing with any child. Words such as “पक्का”, in this context, are mainly used with children and not adults. “आप वाकई आगे बढ़ना चाहते हैं?” is much more serious and eloquent.

Welcome to AntennaPod!”: Should have been “एंटीनापॉड में आपका स्वागत है” ; Translated as “एंटीनापॉड में वेलकम!”. Here again, while “स्वागत”(Welcome) is a well-known word used from time to time, it has been sidelined by the translator and instead transliteration has been used.

Total size of episodes on the device”: Translated as “डिवाइस के सारे एपिसोड का कुल साइज़” ; Should have been “डिवाइस पर सभी एपिसोडों का कुल साइज़”. Now, the translation here is very different from what the string says. As per the translation, it is “Total size of all episodes of the device.” We had to use “on” and not “of”. Therefore, the correct one will be “डिवाइस पर सभी एपिसोडों का कुल साइज़”.

Support”: Should have been “सहायता”; However, it is “सपोर्ट”. Again, a well-known word was sidelined to use transliteration. Even Google uses “सहायता” instead of transliteration of “support”.

Confirm”: Should have been “पुष्टि करें" rather than “पक्का करें”. Same as above, we are not referring to children here. “पुष्टि” is an established terminology even used by Samsung and Google in their Hindi translation.

Description”: Should have been “विवरण” rather than “जानकारी” (Knowledge, Information). “जानकारी” means “Knowledge, Information” and not description. “विवरण”, which exactly means “description”, suggested by a user, was disregarded by the reviewer.

Please note that I am unable to review each and every string thoroughly. Hence, I’ve suggested only a few that I could find in the limited time available. Even if I were to review them all, it seems likely that the reviewer would disregard them right away, as the trend suggests. Please note that I have also noticed some inconsistencies on his part. He sometimes uses transliteration for “Auto” and at other times mistranslates it. Similarly, he uses “Nuqta” in some instances but avoids it elsewhere.

I regret to say that it seems Agyat009 has been removing others’ translations without considering them. While I acknowledge that some of his translations were accurate, he has even dismissed correct ones in favor of his own incorrect translations. I’m not criticizing him, but it seems that for the sake of speed, he is sacrificing translation quality, leading to subpar results.

Ping @Yang who I think is Agyat009 on Transifex

Hello @HiTranslator,

I can see why you have labelled some of my translations as bad: because they are bad. The whole translation process is done openly so people can correct each other’s mistake.

Hindi is a diverse language, and in many cases a translator has to choose one of the many options. In the AntennaPod project I have aimed at choosing the options that are “trendy” and are likely to remain a trend.

I translated the whole app 9 months ago, but never pushed it to be released because I found its quality to be very inadequate. I also got tangled up in my work. I would have made my “rules” (such as on Nuqta) to be open to scrunity once the translation was in the review stage.

Now, lets come to your accusations:

My “philosophy” on nuqta is that I use it only in ज़. This is almost consistent with what most media channel are doing right now: they are totally giving it up. I can understand that you love them. I am also favouring the Hinglish type of Hindi, and that is why sometimes my translation differ from that of some other popular apps. For instance, I would like the “मदद” of WhatsApp better than “सहायता” of Google. I had avoided the use of चाहता/चाहती at all cost since they suggest gender, which will not be a good look on AntennaPod. The trend is what it is.

I am not removing other people translations without considering them. However, there is a good chance that some mistakes slipped in this process. As I said above, the translations were never up to my expectations, and I never reviewed them.

[Please don’t refer me as “he”]

As a side note, nowdays I mostly look over other people doing the translation. More like a QA. Plus, I am learning Java so that I can contribute to AntennaPod and other FOSS projects. Wish me luck :grinning:

Thank you for your detailed response and clarification regarding the translation process and your approach within the AntennaPod project. @Yang

Yes, Hindi is a diverse language, but I would say translators should use a terminology which is already well-established instead of going for “trendy” words. This is because a word that is well-established will be understood by a large audience. Translator’s work, in my opinion, is to translate in a manner that is understood by the large audience.

Well, I truly respect your preference for “trendy” words over alternatives, but you see, English itself can be divided into two categories by native speakers. There’s the language used in everyday conversation and the language used in formal contexts, such as in writing. In cases like these, I believe we should prioritize formal English. Similarly, the same principle applies to Hindi.

Ah, personally, I don’t have any particular attachment to “Nuqta” (as I’m not a writer), but I must say, I’m hesitant to base my decisions solely on what’s trending in the media. Your argument appears to be a perfect example of “Bandwagon fallacy”. Just because something is commonly done doesn’t necessarily make it right. Let me offer an analogy to illustrate my point: Imagine if most people suddenly stopped wearing helmets while riding bikes. That doesn’t mean it’s safe to ride without one. Although it might be a bit exaggerated, but I hope you see what I’m trying to say.

Since I don’t use WhatsApp, I’m not very familiar with their translations. However, as you mentioned, I took a look at what Signal Messenger is using. Interestingly, they do use “मदद,” consistent with WhatsApp. Yet, it’s worth noting that Google is widely recognized by a majority of people both locally and internationally. Aligning our translations with theirs could greatly benefit users. As I mentioned earlier, our goal is to translate for the broader audience, not just for ourselves.

While I agree that we should avoid using words that suggest gender in our translations, this shouldn’t come at the expense of translation quality. However, when it comes to Hindi grammar, it’s important to acknowledge that we may not be able to completely avoid gendered language, as Hindi, unlike Sanskrit, only has two grammatical genders.

Apologies for using incorrect pronouns.

It’s great to hear about your efforts to learn Java to contribute to AntennaPod and other FOSS projects. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!

Finally, I’d like to emphasize the importance of thoroughly reviewing each and every string in this project and making necessary corrections. At present, the translation quality of AntennaPod is quite poor. I hope you will take this into consideration.

Thanks!

I said that “trendy” is the idea I am chasing, which is important for AntennaPod as a podcast app. This does not, in any way, imply that we should use words not understood by the majority.

I am not aware of this formality. As far as I remember, most projects want a casual + conversational style. It is exactly why things like “lets do it!” are perfectly acceptable to be used in apps.

I never claimed that removing Nuqta is “right.” In fact, I too think that nuqta is needed. But a language is what people speak and write, and since people are not using nuqta, I am also not using it. Your claim of increasing accuracy with nuqta is mostly unfounded. For example, पास can mean both a “bus pass” and “near”. Does this mean that the meaning of पास isn’t clear? Contextual info is enough to determine the meaning of a word.

Earlier you called removing nuqta as bandwagon fallacy, and now you are saying that we should do something just because Google does it? Please clarify your position.

We CAN, for the purposes of translating the app, avoid verbs which signify a gender. Do you want to continue? could be simply translated as जारी रखें? instead of क्या आप जारी रखना चाहते/चाहती है?.

As i said earlier, mistakes can occur. If you have a problem, just correct it and contact the translator if the errors are repetitive.

I missed some of your earlier points:

I looked up the two words, and google says राइट has 37000 matches, while दाएं has 32000 matches. I am trying to use Hinglish flavour of Hindi. I also use राइट. So, राइट is the appropriate word here IMO.

Did you even searched the meaning of आखिरी before criticizing me?

I reject long translations due to truncation, which happen quite often on my small device with large font. I also forgot to mention that I use bindu instead of chandrabindu because of, yup, trends.

Certainly, your translation is correct. But please avoid the gender.

Nothing to add.

Please tell me the difference between: Total size of episodes on the device vs Total size of episodes of the device. Don’t be desperate to find problems in my translations.

I would rather just use करें than पुष्टि करें. The later is an overkill even on the front of formality.

Of course, विवरण is accurate. But accuracy is not the priority, rather it is that the stuff is understood by the user. Both words are equal in this sense, and जानकारी has the additional benefit of being more popular.

I have learned a lot since I initially translated the app. I tried using अपने आप, but turned out it was not good. So, later I started using ऑटो. And that is the reason for the inconsistency.

Thank you.

Let’s take your issue one by one:

As far as my definition of “trendy” is concerned, I believe it refers to something popular in the current market without any guarantee of its longevity. So, what’s the problem with using terminology that is already established and known by millions of speakers?

I understand your perspective on favoring a casual and conversational style, which is indeed common in many projects. However, in certain situations, especially when ensuring clarity, prioritizing formal language can be beneficial. I think I was mistaken in suggesting that formal language should be used throughout the project. A more appropriate way of expressing it would be that formal language may be used when clarity is needed for performing sensitive tasks, such as deleting content or creating backups.

At once, you say, ‘My “philosophy” on nuqta is that I use it only in ज़. This is almost consistent with what most media channels are doing right now,’ and at other places, you say, ‘In fact, I too think that nuqta is needed.’ I always thought philosophy is what you think, but you proved me wrong. I now know that I can think differently and have a different philosophy. By saying, ‘But a language is what people speak and write, and since people are not using nuqta, I am also not using it’, you are again using the ‘bandwagon argument.’ You say if there is context, you don’t need ‘Nuqta.’ Please explain the difference between ‘अगर तुम मिल जाओ ज़माना छोड़ देंगे हम।’ and ‘अगर तुम मिल जाओ जमाना छोड़ देंगे हम।’ Here, the context is the same, but these words differ in meaning to a great extent. (This example was cited by the Rekhta Foundation in one of their blogs. You can refer to them at any time).

In haste, you changed the meaning of my point in your favor. Let me explain. Your argument was that ‘most of the media channels’ are doing this, therefore I will also do the same. I say ‘Google is doing this’, so we should use the same. While you put faith in most media channels, I am putting faith in a single company and not most, i.e., ‘Google’. Mine is not a bandwagon argument because I am not saying that the majority of companies are doing it. It is you who say this. I said, the majority of people would be aware of the same terminology. I think I clarified my position.

I agreed to the same thing that we should avoid gender-specific verbs where possible, without compromising translation quality and sense. But I personally don’t think we would be able to do that everywhere. The example cited by you seems right as of now.

For the ‘Right’ and ‘Left’: While you are putting faith in indexes, which is also good, I am putting my faith in my real-life experience. Moreover, I find no reason for someone to search these terms in Hindi. But those are the facts, and I have to believe what you say. However, since we are translating into Hindi, ‘दाएं’ and ‘बाएं’ may be used without any issue.

Buddy, there is a difference between ‘last year’ and ‘past year’. You say ‘आखिरी’ is correct for ‘past year’. So, now which word should I use for ‘last year’? Let me give one more example: when you talk about the ‘last year’ of your college/university, you say ‘आखिरी साल था’. It is clear in the context. Please refer to it properly. Moreover, I think I was too harsh and used some wrong words while pointing that out, as I was never ‘criticizing’ you. I am learning a lot from you. I would never criticize anyone, especially someone who is sharing some great insights with me. I apologize if you think that I was ‘castigating’ you.

For 'आंकड़े खाली करें’: Considering different screen sizes while translating is commendable, but I think it should not come at the cost of a ‘wrong/unclear’ translation. Plus, I am not aware of the rules of ‘chandrabindu’ and ‘bindu’ like my colleagues, but I used ‘आँकड़ों’ because I have seen everyone use it like this.

I will certainly avoid gender specific verbs. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Issues of ‘on’ and not ‘of’: I don’t have to explain this. Come on, these two are very different prepositions used in different senses. If there is no difference between these two, why would devs use ‘on’ instead of ‘of’? But even if you still have any issue, refer to sources like Oxford, Merriam-Webster, etc. They have explained the same in a very simple manner and better than me, ofcourse. Sorry, but again I think I used certain words that you thought I was desperate in finding mistakes. See, you can have an opinion, but I certainly have nothing against you. We are here to identify the issues and fix them peacefully. I have no issue even if you disregard my vote.

On your point of the correct translation of ‘description,’ I would refrain from saying anything except the fact that ‘जानकारी’ seems inapt here.

Nothing to say about your translation of ‘Auto’ because there is absolutely nothing to say.

P.S: This message in no way is criticizing you or castigating you. But even if my certain words hurt you, I am very sorry for that. I unconditionally apologize for that mistake. Even in my first message, I clarified that I am not criticizing anyone. I know, Mistakes are common. It is very possible that I may have made some mistakes in this chat only. I heard someone saying, although I am not aware who said that, “मतभेद हो सकता है लेकिन मनभेद नहीं होना चाहिए”. Rest, You can reply to this message If you find me wrong.

Interesting conversation to read through as a third party “observer” but one of the moderators may want to jump in if this conversation is going off-topic. Seems like if the effort put into this conversation were put into the actual action of the translation effort it would be in great shape. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight @Nilex . I appreciate your concern regarding this thread going off-topic. Fortunately, that is not the case. By discussing and clarifying these points now, I aim to streamline the translation process and produce a final product that meets the highest standards. However, I have duly noted your concerns. Further, I welcome any further insights or suggestions you may have. Thanks!

Hello @keunes and @ByteHamster,

As this conversation is going nowhere, I will stop replying to the above messages. I think I have properly discussed my side in this thread. @HiTranslator aside from reporting my usual mistakes, which could have been done by a simple DM, is also just balantly saying that we should do something (like using nuqta, chandrabindu, even when @HiTranslator itself thinks that they are no longer used by the majority) just because it is their preference. Some of the points don’t even matter, like the use of “of” vs “on” in a sentence, or the meaning of “my philosophy”. @HiTranslator hadn’t even contributed one line to the translation, as far as I can tell. It is becoming annoying, rather than an intelligent conversation.

Cheers. (OK, sorry, this comment isn’t exactly cheerful :sweat_smile:)

Have my last response:

I avoided DMs for a reason: Almost 60-70% of AntennaPod’s translations are faulty. If there were only “some” mistakes, I would have DM’d you. However, the majority of translations are faulty. I chose this discourse because AntennaPod developers need to be aware that its Hindi translation is subpar.

I am being hypocritical: I never claimed that Nuqta, Chandbindu, etc., have become obsolete. I mentioned that I am “supposing,” as you have said. These are important to use and are utilized by everyone.

Stating illogical things: I was simply highlighting the inconsistency in your argument. Your statement contained a clear paradox, and I merely pointed it out.

I have not translated a single word: Is it necessary to contribute to the project to point out certain mistakes? I don’t think so. Mistakes are mistakes. I just voiced my observations.

Okay, so let’s see the devs’ response @keunes and @ByteHamster : whether they prefer terminology that is well-known and already established, or terminology based on individual whim i.e. “Trend”.

Thanks! (No need to worry, I’m not expecting any cheerful comments from you.)

Hi @HiTranslator and @Yang

intervening here because we feel that the discussion has moved away from the topic of improving translation quality.

Please understand that it’s impossible for us to judge specific cases as we don’t speak the language, but we hope you can agree on the individual strings under discussion (while maintaining consistency).

Here are some general guidelines from our side:

• Use consistent terminology, tone, and style (grammar, punctuation, capitalization) throughout the translation.
  • Be concise and to the point. Avoid using long sentences or complex words that may be difficult to understand.
  • Use simple language that is easy to understand. Avoid using jargon or technical terms.
  • Avoid using language that may be offensive or inappropriate. Use informal and gender-neutral language whenever possible.

Regarding some of the points of discussion:

• We aim for a modern look & feel of AntennaPod, including modern use of language. However, currently infrequent use of a word isn’t a reason for avoiding it, if it starts to be adopted in the specific context of podcasting/smartphone or society at large. Language is a living thing, and we adapt accordingly, while avoiding youth jargon/slang and changing terms every year.
  • String length should be considered, but if shortening a string makes it unclear, please raise it with the team so we can see if we can make a longer text display properly in the UI.

Other than that, we encourage you to focus the discussion on specific cases with the aim of improving translation quality, rather than general discussions about the use of prepositions, etc.

Also, we pushed the Hindi translation to the beta release, which is starting to roll out to 10% of the beta testers. Maybe you want to check the translations in context. Info about beta

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @femmdi . No further communication is required.

Thank you @femmdi for your guidance