Disappearing downloads

App version: 3.3.2 F-Droid

Android version: 12

Device model: Samsung Galaxy S10e

Expected behaviour: When I download an episode, it stays downloaded until I listen to it or manually delete it.

Current behaviour: Podcast episodes that I know I downloaded, are no longer downloaded, despite not listening to them or manually deleting them. Some of these I downloaded just this morning and now it’s 2 PM and they’re missing again.

First occurred: Haven’t been using the app long, I started with it within the last month. I think this has been going on for a few weeks at least.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Manually trigger the download of an episode.
  2. Wait a few hours, then check my podcast list.
  3. The episode I downloaded is gone.

Environment: I have “Auto delete” (when playback completes) enabled. “Auto delete from local folders” is disabled. “Delete removes from queue” is enabled. “Keep favorite episodes” is enabled. “Automatic download” is enabled. Data is stored on my phone’s main storage, not an SD card. I disabled “Enqueue downloaded”. The episode I previously downloaded shows up in my download log as “successful”. I use both bluetooth headphones and the phone’s speaker.
OS version: 4.14.190-25741239-abG970USQU9IWG3
Model: SM-G970U
Device: beyond0q
Product: beyond0qltesq
No crash report recorded

Stacktrace/Logcat:
Don’t have this.

If you have auto download on maybe you can check in settings, downloads, auto download what cleaning and how many episodes to keep are set? (Or turn off auto download to see if the problem is still there?)
Or is it possible another app on your phone is set to do some cleaning and is removing episodes from AntennaPod folder?

2 Likes

Ah. Right now it’s set to “When not in queue” and 25 episodes.

I turned off auto-queueing because I want to manage the queue myself. I did not expect that it might interact with the auto-cleanup this way. I’ve set it to “Unlimited” and “12 hours after finishing”, if this fixes the issue I’ll update this post!

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Okay, yes! That seems to have fixed the issue! Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I wonder if auto deleting needs a notification and allow the user to say, do not notify in future?

I restructured the auto-delete settings here to make it a bit more clear what gets deleted when: Move auto-delete settings by ByteHamster · Pull Request #7096 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub