Error not seen anywhere

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

2.5.2 F-droid

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)

LineageOS for MictoG 18.1

Device model:

Pixel 5

Expected behaviour:

Add podcast discovery page can open podcasts with no errors

Current behaviour:

Certain podcasts unable to open with error:

IO Error
Chain Validation Failed

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)

When installed today

Steps to reproduce:

Add podcast → select podcast (example of one is Listening In - QCODE

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)

I should add that I’ve tried uninstalling the app, and also tried Aurora as well as F-droid. No luck!

Seen reports elsewhere that one of the main podcast servers has got problems and I had this problem with one of my podcasts.

All my BBC podcasts are fine. Try one of those to confirm the app itself is OK.

2 Likes

Same error yesterday, it resolved today. I tried all the usual steps, rebooted, deleted cache, then data, then uninstalled and reinstalled (sacrificing all my data), thus confirming it wasn’t a local error.

However, I believe AP should add more information when this type of remote error occurs. I’ve had failures where clearing the cache and such DID help, so I had no faith that AP wasn’t causing the problem again. An error like “the podcast server was reachable but reported an error–the service might be down. Please try again later. Tap here to check isitdownrightnow.com” would be a very good idea, from my perspective.

Also just recalled that I was attempting to resume a streamed podcast and it said “the media file could not be found (-1)” or something similar, which led me to believe AP was again the culprit. That should also be fixed, I’d think. AP shouldn’t take the blame when the remote service fails, and it’s probably feeling like an unreliable app to me unduly, as maybe this was the reason for past failures. (In fact, I had an entire podcast I was able to subscribe to and start playing, but which never let me play it again with a very similar error: “ESV Old Testament (Dramatized) – English Standard Version Bible by Faith Comes By Hearing.” This podcast now works after my series of troubleshooting events above.)

Thanks