Filter against future episodes

A filter against future episodes would be nice, I have subscribed some podcasts from German public radio stations that also show future episodes. The filter should make it possible to hide these episodes.

Cheers!

1 Like

Can the future episodes not be downloaded then? How does that work? Could you please tell me which podcast this is?

Podcasts:
Feature - Deutschlandfunk (showing episodes for Mai 11, June 5 & 12)
NDR Hörspiel Box (showing episode for Mai 9)
These episodes can be downloaded but (a) I don’t want to download these and (b) when sorting podcasts by release date they always are on top of the list; it’s a bit annoying.

Hmm. Maybe that’s something more podcasts will exploit in the future. I would say we should just ignore the episode date if it is in the future and set it to the date we first found the episode.

1 Like

This will be a reoccurring ‘feature’, I’ve seen it before with other podcasts from the same broadcaster, therefore it will be a good and simple idea to ignore the episode date if it is in the future.

A method that would work pretty well with our current database would be to ignore the date (set to first refresh we found the episode) if it is in the future but when the future date is actually there, then use the specified date instead. It means that the episode will jump up on the episodes screen on that date (but it will not be displayed as “new” again and it will not be sticky at the top in between). Methods without jumping up would require additional database flags that I am not sure we should add just to deal with misbehaving publishers.

1 Like

Wait, I just found something really weird after checking the two podcasts with the Pocket Casts App.

Antennapod:
NDR Hörspiel Box (showing episode for Mai 9)
Pocketcast:
(shows the same episode for April 20

Antennapod:
Feature - Deutschlandfunk (showing episodes for Mai 11, June 5 & 12)
Pocketcast:
(shows the same episodes for March 12, April 21 & March 22)

Any ideas now???

I guess pocket casts does the same thing and ignores the date for episodes that are set to the future.

1 Like

I dont know if this is a bug though, because maybe the radio station is releasing the episodes early online but tags them with the date it will be aired, maybe someone can check wheter this is true?

Also i can’t quite confirm some dates you gave, take a look
Feature - Deutschlandfunk no future episodes

This feed (from AntennaPod’s search feature) has future episodes: Feature - Deutschlandfunk Kultur

I get your point, but have a look at the jpg, even the original ARD audiothek is showing future episodes. Are there different versions of the feed info? Or is Pocket Cast just ignoring future episodes?

Is it possible that it checks if there is a media to download or not and depending on that it won’t show episode?

1 Like

We already have a filter “Has Media”

I meant it’s maybe how it’s managed on other apps. Not showing any episode without media by default.

I don’t know. Probably. In this case, the episodes do have a media file, though. I think some people are using AntennaPod as an RSS reader, too, even if that’s not officially supported.