French translation of the Website

Hi @Kusco,
It’s been a while, but our website is now properly translatable via Weblate :slight_smile: (I’ve written a blog about the process of making that possible).

You can contribute to website translations here now:

I hope it’s all self-explanatory, but don’t hesitate to ping me if you have any question or comment.

Hello @keunes,

Excellent! I’ll translate the website in the next few days.
Thank you very much for your work!

I’ll keep you in posted on your tutorial.

1 Like

OK it’s great!
I’ve translate the biggest part of the website.
I will take care of the documentation part tomorrow.

Thanks again @keunes, the explanations are clear, effective and interesting by the way!

1 Like

Great to hear :slight_smile: thanks a lot for your contribution @Kusco!

1 Like

It’s good!
I finished translating the entire French part (it allowed me to learn a lot of things about how the application works. Super interesting!)

Thanks again for your work @keunes!

1 Like

Impressive @Kusco, thanks a lot! I will try and see tonight or tomorrow if I can move them to our live website. Big test! :cold_sweat:

I think it would be good to first enable new languages as a staging version (using the netlify preview in PRs, for example). Then translators can look at it and check for errors. Especially the main pages of the website should look good. They are AntennaPod’s face to the world. The translations of some of those texts don’t have to be literal translations - it is more important that it sounds good. Maybe @Matth78 can then also have a look at the translated website

That would be available when I create a PR to enable the language - Netlify should build the site respecting the config file for each PR. Or am I missing something here?

That’d be great indeed.

Yeah, that will probably work. I was just thinking we should send translators a link to that preview

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Very good idea @ByteHamster, many times, certain sentences were not very suited to French. I think it will be easier to spot these sentences with a test version.

Of course there is no rush!
Thanks again !

I will take a look as soon as possible (when it’s possible to use the netlify option) and suggest adjustments to match terms used in french version of AntennaPod to avoid discrepancies.
I will also try to pay attention to wording / grammar / orthograph so we are as clean as possible. When you write a lot of things and reword your translation there is often some place you forget to adjust. (At least when I am the one doing this kind of things ! :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks all! I’ll mention it when the preview is ready (first want to figure out some things with Weblate).

2 Likes

When you write a lot of things and reword your translation there is often some place you forget to adjust. (At least when I am the one doing this kind of things ! :sweat_smile:)

I see what you mean :smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Danish website translation

A post was merged into an existing topic: ‘I wanted you to see this’?

Just an update on the preview: yesterday I figured out that the translated pages are generated only for those languages that are listed in the website’s config file. I set this up on purpose for our own convenience. But this means that for pull requests those translated files are not available, and thus any preview would have the pages for the new language (here: French) in English.

Long story short: I will have to think a bit further how to get translations in to the preview, so it’ll be somewhere next week/weekend. Sorry for that.

Hi @Kusco, @Matth78,

Sorry for the long wait. There were a few obstackles to get the preview ready, but here it is!

Thanks a lot both :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just clicked around in the preview and noticed two things:

The breadcrumbs still use the English form. This might be a bug in the code, unrelated to translations.

French uses spaces before and after punctation. The space before should be a non-breaking space, though. Otherwise the layout could look a bit weird. I wonder how other websites do that. Maybe it is replaced after translating?

1 Like

Looking into it

I think that would be best fixed in the translations (on Weblate).

Another issue I saw: we use » to represent ‘then do’ in a series of steps. But this sign in French is used for making quotes. It has been ‘translated’ in kinda the opposite direction (from FR to EN quote mark), while it should stay the double arrow. I guess this is the work of Deepl :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could this be confusing to French users? Maybe we should use a simple arrow instead. An arrow is probably even harder to type on a keyboard than the French quote symbol, though.