French translation of the Website

Great job, thank you very much!
I’ll take care of that this week, I’ll let you know!

1 Like

I don’t know where to comment, so below my comments / suggestions.

It surely seems a lot but there was a lot of things translated… So I hope my comments don’t come as harsh.
I consider it inevitable giving all that you had to translate to have oversight or missing some things.
Quite honestly I tried to be quick to review it but even just reviewing was long !
=> so I really understood how much work you put in it and really a big thank you.

Maybe now that I have written it all I would suggest to look first at documentation.

- Homepage :

• sans aucun intérêt commercial"
    I think it would be better to drop “aucun” or it would be more correct to say “avec aucun”, I may nitpick but when it’s written it may looks like a kind of double negation. Maybe “but commercial” could also be a better fit instead of “intérérêt commercial” . (Same for about page)

• sans publicité → “il obtient 100%” what do you think using “touche” instead ?

• to listen anywhere → “vous pouvez meme selectionner les podcasts qui doivent être”, my suggestion : “vous pouvez même sélectionner quels podcast doivent être”

- About :

• “Au contraire, vous souhaitez commencer … automatiser le téléchargement ou la suppression”
    => I would reword it and make it a lot less litteral because I feel English wording is not so good in French, something like :
    "Au contraire, vous souhaitez commencer par trouver et écouter des choses intéressantes. Vous souhaitez pouvoir les organiser, règler la vitesse de lecture et automatiser les téléchargements et suppressions d’épisodes.

• “Dans ce contexte … pour l’utilisateur final” :
    => not quite simple but I would advise to translate it this way :
    "Dans cette philosophie, chaque option ajoutée est un choix que nous n’avons pas réussi à faire. Cela signifie que nous forçons l’utilisateur final à choisir.

• “Nous serons ouverts … offrir de la flexibilité à nos utilisateurs” :
    Here it really should be adjusted imho.
    => “Nous sommes ouverts à de nouvelles fonctionnalités, options ou préférences si cela offre réellement de la flexibilité à nos utilisateurs”
    Immediatly following I would suggest to start sentence with “Par exemple” (and not end with)
    @Keunes as a sidenote for english version examples should be adjusted because “local feeds” is actually “local folder” non ? And beside wouldn’t it be more acurate now to say “we have worked / implemented” ?

• “Nous vous entendons … AntennaPod envoi … aussi avoir votre avis”
    I think you got a typo => “mais nous aimons aussi avoir votre avis”
    Should be => “mais nous aimons aussi avoir vos avis” and maybe better “vos retours”

• “Il n’y a pas d’organisation officielle derrière lui. Il y a environ 3 personnes qui contribuent régulièrement au code, avec beaucoup d’autres qui contribuent de manière occasionnelle.”
    I would slightly reword, I don’t feel it’s too good. What is said is more difficult in French than in English
    => “Il n’y a pas d’organisation officielle. Environ 3 personnes contribuent régulièrement au code et beaucoup d’autres contribuent de manière occasionnelle.”

• “Regardez les façons dont vous pouvez contribute si…”
    => “Allez voir comment vous pouvez aider si …”

- Blog :

• You didn’t translate any of it ! (I’m kidding !!)

- Documentation :
I took a quick look all in all seems quite good except for these things :

• Auto rewind / Rembobinage automatique :
    in app “rewind” is “saut arrière” because it’s apply to button,
    here I would suggest a slight variation : “Retour arrière automatique” so it’s stay relatively similar

• Keyboard shortcut / raccourci clavier :
    As now rewind is more directly related to the button I would change all “rembobinage” with “saut arrière”
    and all “avancer” with “saut avant”

• Queue list / File d’attente :
    In French “queue list” is “liste de lecture”
    In sub section there is also some “file de lecture” for instance in how to use queue list and multiple queue
    And in “Subscriptions”, listen without subscribing
    => all should use “liste de lecture” to be consistent

• Tags / Etiquettes d’abonnement :
    Tags stay tag in French as it’s commonly used and a lot simpler since “etiquettes” is so long. (Same as streaming actually)
    Right know there is some place were (as in english) there is “folder” instead of tag but it’s something that it’s going to change.
    => Can you keep using tag / tags in French.

There is also an error :

• "Taper sur l’icone “notes” => in fact it’s gear icon, so “roue crantée” ? (don’t know, nothing coming to me right now !)
  • Feed updates / Mise à jour des flux :
    feeds should be plural
    new stayed untranslated

• Create an open in AntennaPod / Créer un lien ouvrir :
    “Si vous avez besoin de notre logo, veuillez consulter notre référentiel de marque.”
    => “Si vous avez besoin de notre logo, veuillez consulter notre dépôt “Branding”.”

In French repository is “dépôts” and for “Branding” I think it shouldn’t be translated as it’s the repository name.

3 Likes

Good point - I will change the English text to this:

We have recently introduced tags for podcasts and support for adding local folders, for example.

It’s great, thank you!
Did you change these things on Weblate or do you want me to it ?

Nope didn’t change anything as I thought you would prefer to. If you don’t mind could you do it?
If you need any help, no problem, tell me. Lately I don’t have much time still If there is need I would try my best to be as available as possible.

1 Like

It’s done! Thanks for your work!

Some notes:

That’s what I thought, I even added it to the glossary. But I completely forgot a part… thank you!

I wrote “roue dentée”, It’s seem to be used on internet.

@keunes I need you on this part.

Great job @Matth78,it’s great to have the right to a proofreading!

2 Likes

In English, ‘feed updates’ is one entity, and only the last word should be plural. But actually this whole article needs to be corrected in English: we don’t use the term ‘feeds’ anywhere in the app, and instead talk about ‘podcasts’. Will include it in this update, so you can leave this as is now on Weblate.

1 Like

Ok, @Kusco. I’m sorry, but with the English text changes & additions I’ve set the overall completion rate for French back to 76% :grimacing:

I went through the strings that ‘need editing’ (implying they aren’t new but have received changes). From there I could update 2 myself, and made a suggestion for one. I tried my best covering up for the ‘damage’ of my PR :smile:

As mentioned on the new Translate contribution page, I’ll happily launch the site in French if the General, Short strings and Documentation components are translated. The Contribute component could wait until a bit later if necessary (though for the announcement on our social media it’d be cool if we have 100%).

Sorry for this, and thanks a lot for your help!

Haha it will never end! :sweat_smile:
I’m trying to do that this week, thanks @keunes!

1 Like

I promise I will not make any further text changes until the French version is live :innocent:

1 Like

Done!

Sorry it took a little longer than expected. I took more time to improve the translations.
If you can update the website @Keunes, I’ll check the translation with more context.

Thanks very much!

1 Like

No worries @Kusco - thanks so much for your contributions! I had to fiddle a bit and learn something new (always good!), but the updated preview is online:

(seeing this URL preview in Discourse reminds me: I should really look into the localisation of this metadata - would be weird if we start promoting a localised website with English URL previews ^^).

Great, thank you!
I made some very slight changes (punctuation, URL, etc.).
It’s ok for me!

1 Like

Great work @Kusco, thanks so much for your help with this! @Matth78 did you want to have a final look or shall we release it in the wild? :slight_smile:

I didn’t check it back but I feel it’s best to publish it. If there’s some improvement needed it would always be possible to update it.

1 Like

Ok, cool! And you’re right :slight_smile: Improvements are easily applied.

Let’s aim to release it this weekend, Sunday afternoon the latest. (This I was mostly saying not myself ^^) I’d like to prepare some messages as well for on our social media. If anyone might have some ideas for (a) message(s), please don’t hesitate to share :slight_smile:

@Matth78 Would this work?

Après beaucoup de travail préparatoire et la traduction de plus que 71.5k mots, le site-web d’AntennaPod est disponible en français dès maintenant ! Pour une plus grande accessibilité et des supports localisés. Nous remercions les bénévoles qui ont aidé !
AntennaPod – Le lecteur de podcasts libre

(In case changes are needed: we can add 1 more character but then we’ve reached Twitter’s character limit.)

Est-ce que vous est intéressé à supporter notre projet, comme les bénévoles qui ont traduit notre site-web ? Regardez ici quels types de contributions nous apprécions le plus. Indice : il ne s’agit pas seulement de développer l’application.
Contribuer – AntennaPod

(I’m not sure about the last sentence - it was suggested by Deepl.)

To make it sounds better I would :

• drop “préparatoire” : it can’t be any other kind of work since there was only English version before and dropping it make sentence more fluid.
  • “des supports localisés” : I guess it’s a litteral translation for “local supports”, at minimum I would make it singular. And : “une aide localisée” instead is more correct.
    Support can somewhat work but I believe you would always precise what kind of support you are talking about (most of the time it is a “support technique” but that’s not really it there) and I feel like there is a physical person doing the “support”

I feel not too good about it. May I suggest :

Vous souhaitez aider notre projet comme les bénévoles qui ont traduit notre site ? Alors regardez ici (I suppose “ici” is linked?) les contributions qui nous sont le plus utile. Pour info : il ne s’agit pas que de programmation. (So it’s clear help is not only about coding)

Last sentence was ok for me but “programmation” is better for non developer . Someone who don’t know coding and thinking he can’t help would say : “je ne peux pas aider, je ne sais pas programmer”
And “pour info” works better than “indice” since we are appealing to people who were not especially searching for what to do. Here we are just looking for help and we are informing it’s not only coding help.

Hope I don’t sound too pedantic with my explanations. :worried:
But I try really pay attention to what is more correct (and avoid literal translation trap) and explain some slight difference on how translation sound. But surely there is some subjectivity.

1 Like

Hmmm. If you remove ‘préparatoire’, doesn’t it read like ‘a lot of work’ and ‘translation of x words’ refer to the same thing (the translations)?

Deepl translated ‘localised support materials’ as ‘des supports localisé’. But we’ll use ‘une aide localisée’ :slight_smile: (Or should we use something with ‘documentation’, as that is used also on the website?)

It’ll be a tweet with a link below the text, so the word itself won’t be linked. But I reckon it would still work. I can add a an emoji to point to the link: :point_down:

This sounds a bit formal, I feel. Could we say the following? ‘(Et) il ne s’agit pas que… !’

Couldn’t agree more. Thanks @Matth78!

Don’t think so. Besides “préparatoire” doesn’t mean it’s not a lot of work.
IMHO if you want to keep it, there is no problem with it.

“Documentation” is also good. No opinion about it !

I don’t think it’s formal, but as I tend to prefer shorter sentence when possible so let’s go with “Et il ne s’agit pas…”