Google Summer of Code

I understand. I guess the 1 hour per day is in case it’s a ‘big’ project (350 contributor hours) in the shortest coding period (12 weeks). But we could also go for the opposite: a small project (175 hours) over a longer coding period (max. 22 weeks). That would boil down to about 8 hours contributor work per week - meaning less than 1 hour mentoring per week. And there’s a flexibility in terms of planning ‘weeks off’.

Then, there’s also the flexibility to share the mentoring role. I would like to take up the mentoring regarding the project (esp. during the ‘community bonding period’) and UX/UI. So we can share the burden.

Ouch, yeah, that’s something we really don’t want. That’d be a grand waste of time for everyone.

Just to jot down some ideas - some from what I believe are popular requests, some from my personal wishlist :smiley:

• Rewrite database back-up & automation [#5099 & #4850]
  • Episode listening without subscribing (incl opening shared episode) [#4710]
  • Upgrade ‘New’ screen to ‘Inbox’ [#5267]
  • User-definable queues [#2648]
  • Nice empty-state screens, other UI refinements
  • Rewrite of auto download/deletion (including oldest to newest, keeping N newest) [this milestone]
  • Revamped discovery screen (to be seen if country-based suggestions possible with PI’s - support for tag/topic filtering (even based on iTunes) would be welcome) [#4747, might also cover #5373]
  • Experimental/Optional bottom bar navigation [#4376]
  • Support for Transcript tag [#4935] & related enhancement of player screen navigation [on forum]
  • Time selector in statistics [#5102] + ‘your year in review’ as added bonus
  • Episode-based notes [#1946]
  • Multi-press hardware buttons (e.g. to fast forward) [#2715]
  • Continue playing when initiated from Podcast or Tag [#1533]
  • Integration with more synchronisation providers (Podfriend, contribution to Nextcloud Podcast app if maintainer agrees)

Some more Podcasting 2.0 stuff:

• Further increase chapter support (button for ‘more info’ link)
  • Cross-app comments (based on ActivityPub protocol)
  • Support for Alternate enclosure tag
  • Support for Person tag (mainly episode/podcast search)

I guess this is plenty to fill 175 hours :smile: I realise that some of the above points would need decisions and/or mock-ups first. But if we know what we want to ask the GSoC contributor, we still have a few months to discuss them :slight_smile:

I think we should make a decision latest the coming weekend, so that we have a week to prepare the application (determine the project ideas).

1 Like