Grey out the play button if volume is too low

App version: 2.4.1 (F-Droid)

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
If reduce volume to 0 or almost 0 and hit play after pausing an episode i miss parts of the episode after resuming. I think the play button should not work and warn me if the speakers/headphone are essentially muted.

3 Likes

A feature that kinda relates would be to autopause an episode if it is below a set volume level and restore max volume after hitting the play button

1 Like

I like the idea and no app / video player does this. Maybe we can put up a Toast message about the volume as well

My caveat avout doing this would be that AP would be the only audio/ video app that does this, so we should make sure users are not confused why the episode does not play.

Maybe display a toast message to indicate play is not possible when volume is off?

1 Like

And it should only happen if the volume is at the absolute zero. When in bed I often put it to the very minimum volume (and it is still rather loud).

1 Like

I like toast/snackbar messages more than greying out the button because then we do not need to continuously monitor the system volume to keep the button state updated.

Playing WhatsApp’s voice messages shows a toast message when the volume is at zero

1 Like

Bit of an edge-case: but what if volume = 0 or off, and my screen as well. I.e. when using hardware buttons, for example when cycling? Would it be possible to have Android ‘speak’ this notification on volume level 1?

GitHub issue created:

Automatically restoring to max volume is an absolute no-no.

What happened to the user checking and adjusting the volume for themselves if they are not hearing what they expect to hear? I always skip back if I know I have missed something whether because of low volume, someone talking to me or whatever.

2 Likes

I manually change the volume to zero when there are ads playing and I don’t have the controls in my audio device to skip. This way it steps ads coming into my headphone and then I turn the volume back up when I guess the ads are done.

Automatically restoring to max volume is an absolute no-no.

What happened to the user checking and adjusting the volume for
themselves if they are not hearing what they expect to hear? I always
skip back if I know I have missed something whether because of low
volume, someone talking to me or whatever.

I kinda meant to a custom volume to return to, or just the previous
status after the volume got turned down, however, I guess that you are
right, it would be a bit hard to implement. And the user knows their own
needs better…

I just implemented the feature but it somehow feels odd. Whenever I see that message, I keep thinking something like “I was just about to increase the volume, stop stealing my attention with this popup!”. Isn’t increasing the volume the most natural thing when you started something and hear no sound?

2 Likes

@ByteHamster Is there a debug build that @ghast (who originally brought up this issue) could install and test?

Here you go: app-play-debug-volume-message.apk - Google Drive

I am not sure in what way this debug build helps, though. If it was added to the app, the message would be shown for everyone, not just @ghast.

1 Like

Of course, hehehe. But @ghast was the user that felt like there was an issue. If even they don’t feel like the warning helps, or even find it annoying, then it should most certainly not be implemented :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ghast There’s an app version shared in this thread that has the volume warning. Did you try to download, install & use it?
The app will install next to your ‘real’ app and you can import your database to replicate real use.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.