[HOME] feature expanable episodes list and inbox

For what it is worth my main screen is queue.
Although I find home nice it doesn’t work for me. I am going to explain why hoping I am somewhat representative of users whose also use queue as main screen.

First my everyday workflow with AntennaPod :

• of course I listen to podcast, starting play from mini player
  • check for new episodes in inbox : now that there is not anymore a set time I turned on notification for podcasts I really like and always want to listen to. Notification of new episodes is what triggers checking inbox. Too bad notification of episodes for only one podcast don’t go directly to inbox.
  • download episodes (which are added to the queue) and then reordering queue quite often. I manage my queue to balance between episodes I always want to listen and others. My goal is to minimize having no preferred episodes available and not grouping similar podcasts.

What prevents me to use home :

• continue to listen is redundant for me. I will only use it to play an episode but there is already mini player at bottom. If ever I wanted first to second episodes I would want to listen to first one afterwards. So it would requires reordering queue. Besides without scrolling only 3 episodes are visible. Given my worflow a list and one you can reorder is better suited.
  • news : that one is really nice because it allows direct download or a quick access to inbox. But if “continue to listen” was a list it would need to be the top item. So I feel home is missing a way to reorder sections / items.
  • other items : I found them nice but it’s likely I won’t use them. So I would disable them but it would make home quite empty.

tl;dr : For my workflow home should be news at top and below queue (with episodes in a list you can reorder)

What it actually means is that I am happy with queue and only thing missing imho is quick access to inbox.
Bottom navigation would allow it. Less vertical space would be available but it is also true with home screen as you display multiple sections / items.

@ueen I wonder if actually your workflow is not similar to mine given your proposals. Even though you don’t seem in favor of bottom navigation maybe actually it would fit your workflow?

3 Likes