Keep an amount of downloaded episodes when Auto-Delete is enabled

App version: 2.7.1 F-Droid

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
I would like a certain amount of episodes to be kept when Auto-Delete is enabled.
I like to listen to some podcasts while sleeping, when they are a little short I add many to the queue, and I usually download them.

The problem is, I have auto-delete set, and sometimes I listen to an episode again since I was already sleeping and missed it. When I am on a rush I forget to re-download them again, then I am stuck with no episodes to listen while offline.

Suggested solution:
I would like to, keep a certain amount of non-favorited downloaded episodes, maybe in a per podcast setting, or a global one for simplicity’s sake.

So this way I can keep a few of my downloaded episodes around!

Also, maybe the sleep timer feature can fully close the app instead? My earphone have physical buttons, this means that when I move at night I may end up pressing the play button again, rendering the sleep timer useless and playing audio all night long. Thanks!

Episode Cleanup should do basically that. When Auto-Download starts, it removes old episodes. You can specify how many episodes should be kept.

I see, I can enable auto delete globally, disable it in the specific podcast and let episode clean up handle the rest.

I don’t think it’s exactly ideal for my specific usecase but it does the job. Thanks!

I would then like to have a per podcast episode cache tho, since sometimes I have auto download of daily podcasts where I don’t actually listen to them daily but when I do it’s great, but they take over some other podcasts I would like to have too but are not as consistent with their uploads.

New user here, searching for a replacement for Doggcatcher which has fallen out of maintenance.
My first impression is the episode management is seriously lacking. Clearly the authors don’t use podcasts the way I do. And how is that:
I subscribe to some 50+ podcasts, but most weeks, I listen for about an hour, even less. Many of my subscriptions are also on broadcast radio, so I might hear them there instead, or only partially and use the podcast to finish listening later.
Obviously I’m listening to a tiny percentage of what Doggcatcher automatically fetches when I’m on WiFi. But then, I’ll do a 10 hour road trip through an FM-Radio desert, possibly also a cell-coverage-desert, and be very grateful to have 100’s of hours of content to choose from.
This is only possible because Doggcatcher has very flexible settings for how many episodes to keep. I can set it to automatically download new, and retain (n) most recent episodes, deleting anything older. This global setting can be overridden with custom values (or never delete, or only delete when done) for each individual feed. There is also a global setting: do not begin downloads if available space is less than (m). I’ve been using DoggCatcher since 2010. It still works very well, despite getting no maintenance for several years. I hope AntennaPod dev’s will find it and take a look. Thanks.

2 Likes

The features you mentioned sounds like exactly what I want! This needs to be worked on!