Local files as podcast feeds

App version: 3.2.0 (58081fe5b), F-Droid

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
The process for making podcasts from disorganised files hosted somewhere on the Internet is very fiddly. Either you need to create an RSS file by hand and host it yourself somewhere else, which is a step too complicated, or download all of the files and create a podcast from a folder, which takes up a lot of space and is less flexible.

Suggested solution:
Being able to add local RSS files as podcasts, not just virtual RSS feeds for local folders. The UI could just look like using file:// links in the link field. Preferably also support pulling media files from file:// links, which could allow this to be a more customisable alternative to local-folder podcasts, but I’m not sure that this is possible or reasonable (or that you can easily limit that to local RSS files).

Would using huffduffer.com work for this?

1 Like

Thanks! Unfortunately, the feed being private is pretty important to me, but this might come in handy anyway.

1 Like

Why is creating a folder on your phone with audio files less flexible than setting up a whole system that generates an RSS feed on your phone?

What benefit does creating and hosting an RSS feed on you phone provide you, vis-à-vis a simple folder?

1 Like
  • Custom author, custom podcast description (I do know about the proposals to implement the latter for folders, but seems more elegant for the user to have a shared mechanism)
  • Not having to manually set the publication date in metadata and manually re-set it every time I modify a file, as it would just use the pubDate field (as far as I know)
  • Being able to download only select episodes and not all of them beforehand (which you already know about, but counts for ‘flexibility’ too)
1 Like

In case anyone else is interested: solved this by temporarily hosting the rss files on localhost and turning off automatic updates for the podcast

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.