I was faced with a similar situation - really wanted to re-use my local files, since some of my downloaded podcasts are no longer available online. It’s a bit tedious but was worth my while.
Here is what I did:
- Used the export function of AntennaPod on my old phone “Settings”->“Storage”->“Import/Export”-> got to save the file “AntennaPodBackup-2020-12-04.db” on my phone
- Transferred AntennaPodBackup-2020-12-04.db to my laptop
- Installed an SQL-browser, eg. from https://sqlitebrowser.org/ (available for all major platforms; for me it’s xubuntu 20.04 LTS) - I don’t know much about SQL so I wanted to make sure I do thinks right.
- Opened AntennaPodBackup-2020-12-04.db with the sql-browser.
- Clicked on the tab “Browse Data” (or equivalent), then selected the table “FeedsMedia”.
- Clicked on “file_url” to sort the rows for downloaded podcasts to the top. Each cell of “file_url” contains the storage location on my old phone. The relevant parts of the path can also be looked up in AntennaPod: go to “Settings”->“Storage”->“Choose Data Folder”. I did this also on the new phone to find out what differs. On my old phone my podcasts where on an SD-card, on my new phone I only have internal storage.
What I now want is to change all those cells, for example, I want
- Clicked on the tab “Execute SQL”.
- I entered the following SQL commands:
update feedmedia set file_url = replace(file_url,“3444-4326”,“emulated/0”) where downloaded = 1;
update feeds set file_url = replace(file_url,“3444-4326”,“emulated/0”);
To execute this: CTRL+Enter.
These commands replace the location for the media-files and temporary storage (not exactly sure about the latter, just to make sure).
- Checked in “FeedsMedia” and “Feeds” that the cells in the “file_url”-column have been updated
- Clicked on “Write Changes”
- Transferred “AntennaPodBackup-2020-12-04.db” to the new phone (again used USB-transfer)
- I had already transferred the media files, you might still have to do that - copy the structure containing your podcast files in “/Internal shared storage/Android/data/de.danoeh.antennapod/files/media/” from the old phone to the new.
- Used the import function of AntennaPod on my new phone (navigate to the location of file “AntennaPodBackup-2020-12-04.db”) -> after restart AntennaPod recognised the files on the new phone
(1) There are more professional ways to issue the SQL commands but I preferred the SQL-browser to interactively check that I did not make a mistake.
(2) The SD-card-ID “3444-4326” is just an example, to be replaced as needed.
(3) File name “AntennaPodBackup-2020-12-04.db” and locations on the phone(s) may vary, to be adapted as needed. I used simple USB-transfer.