Mark all newer/older episodes as played after selected one [TalkBack feedback]

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
3.2.0 from f-droid

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
I’ve different podcast apps to test. One of them is Podcast Adict. without gpodder-synchronisation. Please add the feature to mark older/newer episodes from a selected episode as played. For example: I’ transfer/subscribed a podcast and I like all episodes of this podcast. many new Episodes I listened. These are more than 100 episodes. So I’m the newest non-played episode and click on pencil=edit. I didn’t see there an option to mark all newer episodes from selected one as played or all older. or: where I can find this option?

Suggested solution:
to listening an episode, I don’t use the inbox or queue itself, I’ve as a startpage in the app the subscription-list and playing the episodes from there, so I’ve sorted the episodes inside each podcast and no mixes… The feature should be in this view of the app.
Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details:

This feature already exists. Enter multi-select mode and then long-press an episode to select all below that episode.

1 Like

I don’t find this multiselect-option? 3.2.0 is my antennapod-version and I’m using Talkback under Android 14 as my screenReader. is this “mehrfachauswahl” in german or where I can find this?

For Playing an episode, I’m tapping on subscription and the podcast, I’m not using a queue or inbox, there are all episodes unsorted by default.

Long press an episode inside a specific podcast view and tap multiple selection.
Then long press again an episode and now the context menu will be select all above or below.

4 Likes

+1 ah, it works, thanks. By using talkback, it is difficult to select more than one episode, by selecting, I lost the focus by refreshing the whole site by each selection.

What do you mean with that exactly?

Do we do multi-select (through TalkBack) different than other (major) apps? (Asking as we might change the way you apply actions on multi-select, and if there’s any TalkBack improvement to be made there we might do that at the same time.)

[keunes] keunes https://forum.antennapod.org/u/keunes AntennaPod Team
March 19

nsb1990:

I lost the focus by refreshing the whole site by each selection

What do you mean with that exactly?

Do we do multi-select (through TalkBack) different than other (major)
apps? (Asking as we might change the way you apply actions on
multi-select, and if there’s any TalkBack improvement to be made there
we might do that at the same time.)

I did the following things:

1. tap and hold an episode

2. tap multiselect

3. tap an episode: no feedback through Talkback: is an episode now
    selected or not

When I’m after steps 1 and 2 select: edit, Talkback says buttons like
delete episodes, mark als played/unplayed.

In this view, Talkback says x of y selected, but after every tapping of
a episode to select, I lost the focus, so I’ve to look for the last
selected episode on the screen between the other buttons.

It is simpler to select by using steps 1, 2 and 3 directly and for
actions for the selected episodes, to click on edit.

and: please label the edit button correctly. I’ve only talkback, no
jieshuo or other screenreader, I don’t like them…

1 Like

Thanks for replying @nsb1990. I just activated TalkBack for a while, and I must say: it’s quite stressful if you’re not used to it at all :yum:

I see what you mean with ‘lost focus’: after selecting an episode it goes out of the episode list and activates the ‘go back’ arrow in the top app bar. I see how annoying that is and will create a ticket for this.

Can you confirm that the following is the desired behaviour?

• Select episode
  • Say that episode is selected (or does TalkBack already mention this? I don’t recall)
  • Say how many episodes are selected now (or is that superfluous for each selection change, and you can check in the top app bar if needed)
  • Stay on selected episode

Actually because of accessibility issues with the library that provides that menu (and to simplify maintenance), we’ll replace that approach with options in the top bar, like other apps such as Gmail do it. Move multi-select actions from floating action button to top toolbar · Issue #6948 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub Therefore we won’t fix the label of the edit button.

Then one more thing that I noticed: when ‘exploring’ the screen (moving your finger across and TalkBack announces the elements), when reaching the miniplayer at the bottom it just announces the episode title. It sounds like it’s just an episode in the list. I would expect it to announce that it’s the miniplayer. What’s your feeling about this; has this ever bothered you? (If you think I should, I will create an issue for this also.)

1 Like

cool, thanks. To listen an episode, I’m tapping on play/stream next to the episode. to pause/play again, I’m using a headphone, Humantechnics cm-bt2.

Thank you for explaining how you use the app @nsb1990, that makes sense.

I’m still wondering, about the fact that you lose focus when doing multi-select, does the following describe the desired behaviour for multiselect?

• Select episode
  • Pronounce that episode is selected (or does TalkBack already mention this? I don’t recall)
  • Pronounce how many episodes are selected now (or is that superfluous for each selection change, and you can check in the top app bar if needed?)
  • Stay on selected episode (so you can swipe up/down to go to the next item in the list)

If you can confirm this or would prefer the multiselect process to work differently, please let me know. I will then create an issue on GitHub so we properly track it for implementation.

1. select episode: I don’t have Talkback feedback for selected episode, but it opens a popup-menu. to go to multiselect option or actions for each episode itself/selected element. I would like to go into multi select mode directly and after tap/hold an episode already selected.

2. Pronounce that episode is selected: no feedback of selected episode, this info is helpful at the begin of talkback feedback, so you can insert checkboxes or so to show the episode as selected.

3. Pronounce how many episodes are selected no? yes but I don’t see which one.

4. Stay on selected episode: which one? to go to next items , I’m using talkback gestures.

and: why are the buttons to mark as played/unplayed/queue etc duplicated under edit?

1 Like

Hi Nagesh,

Thanks for the input. That’s a more general request (also from non-Talkback users) that we’ve been discussing. I hope we’ll be able to implement it at some point. But I think TalkBack and non-TalkBack use should remain in line here. So if long-press to select doesn’t get implemented in general, we shouldn’t implement it specifically for TalkBack (if that would even be possible, which I don’t know).

For many of the points I’m not sure if you’re giving feedback on the current situation, or if you’re giving feedback on the proposal I made (which isn’t implemented yet). For example:

Currently there is no feedback when you select an episode. My proposal was to add such feedback. With “no feedback of selected episode” do you mean to stress that there currently is no feedback (this I already know, hence my proposal to add it), or do you mean that there should not be such feedback, even in the future (meaning that my proposal to add the feedback should not be implemented).

Anyway, I’ll try to give my best judgement and create the improvement request. If we get more precise input we can always adjust.

Allright, ticket created: Improve TalkBack for episode list · Issue #7054 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

Thanks for creating this issue @keunes. The proposed changes will certainly make using AP with TalkBack better.
I have a couple of suggestions

• In the multi-select screen, TalkBack doesn’t tell what episodes are selected. It would be great if TalkBack could tell me if an episode is selected before announcing the title of an episode.
  • In the same screen, when swiping left or right, TalkBack for some reason, also focuses on the disabled Download/Play button. I’m not sure if this started happening recently or if this issue was present before.
  • Adding the download/play button to accessibility actions (TalkBack actions) would make the whole experience seamless. The only suggestion here I would say is to always keep the download/play button at the top of the actions list.
  • It would also be very useful to add the long-press actions to the accessibility actions like “Delete”, “Multi select”, “Mark as played”, “Add to queue” “Share” etc.
1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @VoidCrater. It’s very helpful to get such comments as we’re not daily users of this interface ourselves.

Currently the download/play action button gets focus each time when navigating through the episode list. Would you prefer to keep it that way, or should this button not get focus any-more when it becomes an accessibility action?

2 Likes

Happy to contribute :slight_smile:

Currently the download/play action button gets focus each time when navigating through the episode list. Would you prefer to keep it that way, or should this button not get focus any-more when it becomes an accessibility action?
I would love if TalkBack didn't focus on the play/download button while navigating through the episode list.
2 Likes

[VoidCrater] VoidCrater https://forum.antennapod.org/u/voidcrater
April 4

Happy to contribute :slight_smile:

Currently the download/play action button gets focus each time
when navigating through the episode list. Would you prefer to keep
it that way, or should this button not get focus any-more when it
becomes an accessibility action?

I would love if TalkBack didn’t focus on the play/download button
while navigating through the episode list.

…or a gesture to skip the stream/play button?For myself, I like to
listen the title and next to play this one.

1 Like

I have another suggestion to add: currently, there is no way for a TalkBack user to know if an episode has been downloaded or not. The same goes for refreshing a podcast. AP could inform the user via custom TalkBack notifications about the refresh process and episode download.
For example, the custom notification could be something like this “refresh started” “refresh completed” “Downloading episodes” “Episodes downloaded”.
Also, on an unrelated note, would it be possible for AP to have “Shake to refresh podcast” option? this probably is a bad suggestion, but it has worked for me very well.
Since the “refresh” button is now housed in the overflow menu, it takes me a couple of extra swipes and taps, and to make it easier, I used MacroDroid to create a macro that refreshes a podcast when I shake my device.

1 Like

How would that work? As far as I can tell we can only identify the element, and not introduce ‘custom swipes’. The user can control whether to jump between ‘controls’ or ‘lines’ etc. And we can only make the button show up or not as a control.

I think it could only work by making it an accessibility-specific setting (which we wouldn’t want).

But you would be able to do that with an accessibility action quite easily, no?

Feature request created: Let Talkback announce start & end of episode downloads & feed refreshes · Issue #7070 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub. But according to @ByteHamster it already does that (?)

I love the idea, and it’ll probably also help everyone else (who has no visual impairment) with refreshing, if they don’t want to use ‘pull to refresh’. This must (indeed) be available behind an option, as some users might find it annoying/unhandy. Feature request created: Implement Shake to refresh · Issue #7071 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

1 Like
Feature request created: [Let Talkback announce start & end of episode downloads & feed refreshes · Issue #7070 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub ](https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod/issues/7070). But according to @ByteHamster it already does that (?)
Yes, @ByteHamster is right. TalkBack does announce when podcast refresh starts or when an episode starts downloading. However, when notifications aren't enabled or when the device is set to DND, TalkBack users aren't informed about the refresh or the download process. Besides, the notification doesn't inform the user when the refresh or episode download is complete.
I love the idea, and it’ll probably also help everyone else (who has no visual impairment) with refreshing, if they don’t want to use ‘pull to refresh’. This must (indeed) be available behind an option, as some users might find it annoying/unhandy. Feature request created: [Implement Shake to refresh · Issue #7071 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub ](https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod/issues/7071)
I'm really glad to know that this wasn't a bad suggestion :slight_smile:
1 Like