Normalization

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
2.1.0-RC2 (e67e5a35b)

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
Some podcasts are too quiet. Setting the volume to full makes next item in the queue yell at me at max volume. This is unsafe

Suggested solution:
Add auto or manual volume normalization per podcast or per episode

Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details:

Hello,

Don’t know if you are aware of it but podcasts have an option (in their screen) to set volume.
It’s not perfect because you can only lower volume for them but it could be a workaround.

As far as I know I think normalization is not simple to achieve and it is why what was implemented was a lowering volume settings.

1 Like

GitHub issues related to this :

1 Like

Interesting, I haven’t noticed that setting.
But my problem is that a single podcast (of ~40) has volume that’s too low. That means I would have to set all others to a reduced volume. Not only is that an annoyance, but it leaves a problem of switching to a different music app (its volume would be too high in comparison)

I understand altering the data before it’s played in kind of messy (easy to get artifacts if turned up too much). How about auto adjusting the volume?

That can be annoying indeed. Batch-editing of podcasts was discussed in other issues before, but I just created a feature request for it.

I think that would be a technical discussion that would better fit in either of the GitHub issues.

There’s also this issue that would be relevant I think:

See, I’ve got a podcast where one person speaks way too quietly. That’s where normalization is really a necessity.

I’m exploring a potential workaround right now, using rootlessJamesDSP, a system-wide audio EQ app (that I believe does normalization as well). It requires Shizuku to be running, so it’s probably beyond what the average user is capable/willing to do, but it might be an option for some folks.

1 Like