I have just installed AntennaPod and am in the process of testing it out with the intention of switching to it from Doggcatcher that I have used since 2012. No marks against Doggcatcher but it has not been supported for over 2 years and appears to have been abandoned (no forum entries by creator, etc.). Also I much prefer open source!
I am running the two in parallel for now and have found the four issues (my mistakes, limitations or true bugs) listed below. Only one issue, Auto-download not working, is major. I am a LINUX user (exclusively since 2008) and am familiar with gpodder.
Phone: LG G6
Other: Am a Beta user (Version 2.1.2); Use AdClear (Internal VPN); Use Nova Launcher
OPML - minor issue with workaround
The OPML from Doggcatcher was not accepted. I had to enter the URLs separately
Password - minor issue with workaround
My one subscription that requires a username and password would not accept them. I found a workaround by adapting the url to include the username and password - this worked (FYI - https://name%40email.com:password@url)
Auto-download Not Working - major issue (IMHO)
I have set it for hourly but even after 12 hours none are downloaded. I have checked that each subscription does not have an override. Set Parallel to 10, and also flipped from Internal Storage to SD and back. I monitor my Doggcatcher and then compare - once I do a manual download they all appear.
New Episodes - inconsequential purely FYI, may not even be an issue
Under Episodes,New they show up only while being downloaded - it is Queue that is functionally useful. However this may be by design.
Thank you so much for your support. Once I am better versed I hope to join you in assisting others and the project itself.