Problem with GPodder.net

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)
Android 10.0

Device model:
Xiaomi Note 7

Expected behaviour:
Expected synch for episodes new and status with Gpodder

Current behaviour:
Episodes are not synched.
Gpodder.net is offline - 500 - Internal server error.
The service is currently overloaded. Please try again later or contact us.

Do you know if the website will be offline forever?
Is it possible synch with another service?

1 Like

Gpodder.net is sometimes a bit unstable but it usually gets better after a few hours. AntennaPod only supports Gpodder. You can run your own Gpodder server and enter the address into AntennaPod but that is probably a bit too much for most users :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome @pes4murai to the AntennaPod forum! You’re not the only one experiencing issues with gPodder. It’s a project run by volunteers, and probably not so much money. For my curiosity: how did you discover gpodder? Just because youfound it in AntennaPod’s settings, or did you know it before already?

@ByteHamster I’m thinking: for new AP users that want to sync their stuff and try out the service we offer in the settings the experience can be a bit frustrating. Should we maybe display an information dialog explaining what it is (FOSS service, limited budget & not always stable, can be self-hosted, donate here)?

1 Like

And on a side note: I was also just thinking that in the settings import & export (which we should maybe rename to ‘back-up’) would better fit with synchronization than with Storage. What do you think?

1 Like

@ByteHamster think you for your kind reply. I’ve understand what you mean regarding the situation of Gpodder.

@keunes I’m a long time user of Antenna pod, I’ve have known there Gpodder. Within 1 year more or less I haven’t have problems.

Is it not possible usa an alternative to Gpodder or synch on Dropbox o GDrive?

Yeah, we don’t know why now they have such a long period of downtime.

Currently not. And the problem is: what do you sync it with? If you want to sync wirh another phone or your desktop computer, those podcasting applications must also support the same sync method. Any public drive service sounds more like a way to do remote back-ups. The AntennaPod database is one single file: these online services cannot synchronise/update just one line/episode: they need to copy the whole file - which would lead to a looot of data transferred every minute the played status (time) is updated in AntennaPod.

ok, I understand what you mean.
Thank you for your reply

now it’s 502 bad gateway

no more info, it’s as if it was never there.

many more points:

• i kept getting this “sync error” over months, but always assumed it was somehow related to downloading the podcasts, not such a sync issue. that’s because…

when i click on the notification error, there’s no way to tell. i either know it’s related to gpodder, or there’s simply no more info on the app itself. i didn’t know it was related and when i want to listen to podcasts they work, so i never went further down that hole.

• what’s more, i don’t even need to sync. i
    think i just had that setup because it was simple enough and i might use it some day. wrong mentality, but still that was me. now there’s no password set there, but there’s a logout button. no idea if it ever even worked. a description explaining it better could have helped me to not even bothering using the service since i don’t need it.

• i only have 3 podcasts. my database backup is half a mb and my opml is just a few kb. if either could be automatically saved into saf, shared storage, i could use syncthing or any other such tool for real backup (if you’re thinking of renaming it, please do and make sure the function matches the new name) and syncing with other devices, even if not real time. they’re really not such big files.

• edit: now i saw there’s a bigger and more complete discussion around gpodder, which don’t talk only about the lack of information on the notification i mentioned.

Should gpodder.net be supported long term? - #12 by Matt_Wilkie

• above all: thanks so much for doing all this! antenna pod is an amazing piece of software. hope it’ll live long and prosper!! :grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Longtime user, first time poster. :wink:

Got a new phone and went to sync with gpodder.net, and received 502 error as well. Did a bit of research and found they’ve been down since December 23rd.

It’s probably been mentioned before (and forgive me if I’ve missed the post elsewhere…I’m multitasking), but is there another sync service available?

1 Like

Hi @Mordalo
Great to have a long-time user join us on the forum - welcome! Unfortunately, AntennaPod doesn’t support any other sync service (I don’t think there is any other open podcast sync service anyway).
But if you got a new phone and want to move all your data, the easiest thing to do is exporting your database, and importing it again on the new phone. Easy peasy! The only thing it doesn’t copy are audio files and app settings.

1 Like

Thank you for the post. I just did a new install of AntennaPod and I was getting very frustrated trying to log into gpodder.

I just tried to create a gpodder account to synchronize my antennapod settings to a new device, but can’t: The gpodder.net site seems to work, but trying to create a new account results with:

500 - Internal server error.
The service is currently overloaded. Please try again later or contact us.

I think the best solution would be for AntennaPod not to rely on gpodder.net at all, and instead provide a way to export the current settings (podcasts, listening statistics, etc.) to a file, which can be shared with the other device in any way I want.

Hi @Nadav_Har_El

Welcome on the community forum :slight_smile: Indeed gpodder.net is very unreliable - a search for gpodder on the forum will make that clear, unfortunately.

AntennaPod 2.5 will therefore add support for another synchronisation method, through Nextcloud (if you have your own server).

But exporting the full database and doing whatever you want with it is also an option already. It is a bit hidden, though: Settings > Storage > Import/Export > Database import/export.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes