📰 Proposed press release for version 3.0 - feedback welcome!

I also made a graphic to showcase the home screen:

@ByteHamster I must admit that I don’t really know/remember what the motivation is behind the Manage downloads section (I noticed it was not in my initial mock-ups). So I just invented a reason, but if you have any better text for it, please let me know (same for any other text).

1 Like

Looks nice! Are these cover images we are allowed to use?

I have not explicitly requested permission, if that’s what you’re after. But given that the majority is open source and public broadcasters, combined with the fact that this is a one-off explainer and not standard promotional material (like the play store), I say it’s fine to use.

Will do a french translation before tomorrow evening if no else does it before. Didn’t have much time before. :confused:
Is there a deadline?

I also think it doesn’t matter too much if press release is not converted for all languages. It’s often in news to have quoted info in English and the reviewer usually take excerpt and translate it. (Besides giving a link to the original source)

1 Like

For the Google Play screenshots, a German public broadcaster denied my request to use their logo. Even a small science podcast told me that we can only show some of their episode covers because they already had problems with licensing. So for “official” screenshots (and I think a blog post is quite official), I’m a bit careful.

Not for now. We can only send it when v 3.0 is available on Google Play & F-Droid, and much depends on a) Google’s approval process (which seems to take quite a bit longer for now) and b) the number of new types of crashes we’re getting back from the slowed roll-out. We’ll mention it when we have a deadline in sight :slight_smile:

Journalists (like anyone of us I guess) prefer to be ‘lazy’ if they can be, so taking out one step in their process by providing a translation increases our chance of being picked up. But indeed, no need to get it in all languages. Based on this list of outlets that we’re trying to reach we identified FR, DE & IT as target languages for now.

That’s what I was saying: having your work (as a ‘neutral’ broadcaster) used in permanent promotion of a product (even if open source) is something else than being featured one time in a blog post or on social media in a product explainer. The exposure is much less (with it the chance of license issues) and the purpose/aim (with it the ‘degree of association’) is (slightly) different. Therefore I think we’re safe here.
(Happy to include my personal name, in case anyone ever complaints or makes a claim about this graphic they can point to me.)

Has been a little challenging to keep it under approximately the same length and keeping it all.
I think it’s ok but feel free to comment of course ! I will myselft have a look back in 2/3 days to see if I am still satisfied ! :wink:
AntennaPod releases home screen in new version - Fr.pdf (179.4 KB)

Hmmm I modified the extension to the docx files so I could upload it. And weirdly it seems to have stripped my added .pdf… Well it doesn’t matter but maybe sharing that will be usefull to others (?)
AntennaPod releases home screen in new version - Fr.docx.pdf (173.8 KB)

Edit :silly me, updated the wrong files… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Beta releases on F-Droid

Had already have the time to proof read it.

I mainly corrected some typos, and the part about the brand refresh which was not good enough. Didn’t notice at first since as it uses a lot of words close in meaning refresh / update / evolution while keeping it short so it all still fit on one page. Miles better now.

Well that’s it for me :wink:

AntennaPod releases home screen in new version - Fr - V2.pdf (173.8 KB)
AntennaPod releases home screen in new version - Fr - V2.docx.pdf (173.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Matth78!
I don’t want to be annoying, but it seems you translated the version without the tracked changes. Following @loucasal’s feedback I cut it down a bit.
Can I ask you to check if you can see the tracked changes from this version? Maybe the tracked changes didn’t come through with the software changes (I used LibreOffice but saved in docx format).

Sorry :grimacing:

Damn, I think I took files in the main post which must not have been updated… :sob:
Would check in the next few days

1 Like

At least you have tracked changes, so you can see what should be updated - no need to start from scratch. Sorry!

IT translation attached (PDF only as I couldn’t upload other formats).
AntennaPod adds home screen in 3.0 release IT.pdf (185.1 KB)

As usual, I tried to avoid translating too closely in favour of what sounded more natural in the target language.

@keunes When translating, I noticed a couple of other things (sorry for spotting them only now):

• The term ‘podcasting’ (both in IT and in EN) seems to refer to podcast creation more than podcast listening, so I wouldn’t call AntennaPod a ‘podcasting app’ in the title.
  • ‘Podcasting 2.0’ is usually capitalised as far as I can see.
  • On the date at the start: I guess the press release would be binned as yesterday’s news if it is dated too far in the past. I assume you will replace it in all languages when sending it out? Based on the discussion, it is an arbitrary date anyway.
1 Like

I prefer to refer to apps used to listen to podcasts as podcatchers but I am not sure that is in popular use since the explosion of the platform amongst the public at large.

Luckily :wink:
Just finished !

AntennaPod releases home screen in new version - Fr - V3.pdf (173.4 KB)
AntennaPod releases home screen in new version - Fr - V3.docx.pdf (175.6 KB)

• I stumbled over the word “Start-Bildschirm”. Wouldn’t “Startbildschirm” be more common?
  • “Eine weitere Änderung, ist das aktualisierte App-Symbol” Should there really be a comma?
  • “eine bessere Verteilung der Episoden wenn in der Warteschlange die intelligente Zufallswiedergabe verwendet wird” I think there should be a comma before “wenn”

No problem, thanks for sharing them!

Indeed. The idea is to put the date when it’s available both on Google Play & F-Droid and send it out then.

Thanks @ByteHamster! Corrected German version attached.

AntennaPod mit neuem Startbildschirm in Version 3.0.pdf (108.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi,
I translated the document into spanish, so I’ll upload my translated version here:
AntennaPod adds home screen in 3.0 release ES-no-changes.pdf (122.6 KB)

I didn’t have the same font, so libreoffice rendered it with the default one. It wouldn’t be a problem for me to send the odt file, but I’m not allowed to upload it.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @delthia,

Awesome, thanks! Sorry for not replying earlier. It seems we’re ready for the real release now - would you mind sending me the odf indeed? [username]@mailbox.org

Thanks!