"Searched too many bytes" error, stops playing

/e/Systems Teracube 2e phone, 2021 version

Android 11 /e/OS 1.3.20220905216075

AntennaPod 2.6.2 originally downloaded from F-Droid, updated once via /e/OS App Lounge

Randomly when playing a podcast, an error will pop up which states “Searched too many bytes”.

This seems to occur on any random podcast, not just one single podcast.

Tapping the “Play” button won’t get it playing again, you have to advance or back up the playback time a bit, then hit “Play” and it’ll start working again.

It’s not a frequent error, it’s only happened 5 times since I started using AntennaPod.

The error means that the server of the podcast creator somehow doesn’t like you streaming the episode. Maybe that happens because you skipped forwards/backwards a few times and the server decided that’s too much. Downloading instead of streaming will completely avoid this problem.

No, I’m not streaming the podcasts. I download all of them, and when it happens, I haven’t touched the phone for hours, no skipping forward/backward.

Looking at this bug report here "ParserException: searched too many bytes" with specific MP3 files · Issue #4954 · google/ExoPlayer · GitHub, it looks like the error message is caused by a broken media file. I don’t think we can do something about that in AntennaPod

I have the feeling we’re getting more ‘Playback stops and will not restart’ comments in reviews. One of them noted also the ‘searched too many bytes’ error.

Not sure if it’s worth investing further? Should I ask them to contact us/me?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.