Settings Restructuring

There are an open issue and an open milestone related to new/changed settings. Here are two proposals for how to restructure the settings screen. To be honest, I am not really happy with the two suggestions. Do you have better ideas?

Current structure

• Network
    • Podcast refresh
    • Automatic Downloads
    • Mobile Updates
    • Parallel Downloads
    • Proxy
  • Storage
    • Data Folder
    • Automatic Deletion
    • Import/Export

Suggestion 1: “Downloads” screen

• Downloads
    • Podcast refresh (does not really fit here)
    • Automatic Downloads
    • Mobile updates (does not really fit here)
    • Parallel Downloads
    • Proxy
    • Data Folder
    • Automatic Deletion
  • Import/Export

Suggestion 2: “Automation” screen

• Automation
    • Podcast refresh
    • Automatic downloads
    • Automatic deletion
  • Network
    • Mobile updates
    • Parallel downloads
    • Proxy
  • Storage (too empty)
    • Data folder
    • Import/Export

I prefer second proposal and I will adjust it to merge storage and sync. It will make storage less empty and the number of menus in settings would remain the same.

Edit : and I think storage and sync are a bit related as sync can be an alternative to import/export.

Hmm, I don’t think we should move synchronization one level deeper. People already seem to have a hard time finding it.

@ByteHamster My idea behind the GitHub request was to give back-up more visibility by putting it on the first level (without changing much else). My reasoning was the same as you are using for Synchronisation: two levels is too deep to quickly find the back-up option (which is part of Import/Export).

You noted, however, that:

The number of top-level settings entries are getting a bit much for my taste lately (documentation, contribute, etc). If we display too many items on the main settings page, it is harder to actually find important items.

A valid point. Without having a complete overview of all settings (as my phone is broken) it’s a bit hard to assess (so I won’t wager making a third suggestion for the moment). But, revolutionary proposal, what about we move all non-settings pages out of the Settings screen? :slight_smile:

Creating a ‘About & Support’ screen in the menu (bottom, not fixed like Settings) would give its sub-pages maybe slightly less visibility, but makes the Settings screen cleaner.

(I also don’t like the two proposals: the first has a too big category, the second doesn’t give more visibility to back-up.)

Hmm. That makes the buttons too visible, in my opinion. Most users probably never need to click these and showing them in the main UI instead of the settings screen clutters the everyday usage.