Skip seconds after start, before stop

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:
Listening to ads before and after a podcast starts, stops

Suggested solution:
Scan multiple podcast episodes with AI to determine start and end tune of podcast episode and start episode after the tune.

Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details:
N/A

AntennaPod does not monitor or evaluate your podcast content. Are you suggesting that the team should change that policy?

2 Likes

AntennaPod could scan episodes, or a user can mark the starting and ending time of a podcast episode.
Then, instead of setting a certain seconds in the auto skip settings, AntennaPod scans the episode, determines the tune and starts right after that.
Reason why fixed seconds doesn’t work is that, one time there are no ads on the start, then it’s 20 seconds, then 30 seconds, …

Most of the podcasts I listen to actually have a very predictable amount of ad time at the beginning of the episode for example so the ability to set a specific skip time is a perfectly fine solution.

Can you provide some examples of podcasts that meet the scenario you describe?

1 Like

Some of the podcasts I listen to don’t have a tune (e.g. because they’re cuts from radio). Also, audio scanning seems quite involving to implement, while there’s another solution that works for most cases.

So while I like the idea, I don’t think AntennaPod is likely to get this.

I am quite happy skippings ads using skip +60/-20 seconds intervals. I tend to go by the tone of the audio to instantly detect which are ads and which are content but sometimes get thrown when it is the podcast presenter voicing the ads themselves making me momentarily think I am back in the content.

First if all, thank you for all your replies.

I do understand that if a podcast doesn’t have a tune, there are no seconds to skip. And, of course, if the host is making the advertisement announcement in the episode, I also understand that that’s not possible to skip. I’m taking about improving the start/stop seconds.

An example of a podcast with ads at the beginning, followed by a standard tune is this one: https://traffic.omny.fm/d/clips/8257a063-6be9-42fa-b892-acd4013b1255/183dc0a5-9b77-48f3-9970-acef00cf8471/5d2d894d-868e-4c33-a96f-b1960116a71e/audio.mp3

The implementation of AI has the future and with this feature I believe Antenna pod will be way ahead of other podcast apps.

For a few weeks. Then podcast hosters will block AntennaPod from accessing their feeds because it breaks their income stream

2 Likes