Subscriptions/episodes lost after app update

App version: 2.1.1 (a7c6e697c) installed from F-Droid

Android version: 10 /e/OS 0.13-2020120789006

Device model: Fairphone 3+

Expected behaviour: App to update to new version without affecting stats/subscriptions/episode data.

Current behaviour: App appears as first installed with no subscriptions/episodes/data. The folder structure of subscriptions with downloaded episodes is still present at Android/Data/de.danoeh.antennapod/files/media. In AntennaPod ‘settings/storage/choose data folder’ the location /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/de.danoeh.antennapod/files is selected, unable to change this.

First occurred: 24/12/2020

Can anyone suggest a way to re-link the app to the data still on the phone or should I delete everything and re-subscribe? I haven’t tried adding a new subscription yet in case that overwrites a recoverable database.

Thanks!

That’s sad to hear. When AntennaPod detects a corrupted database, it creates a backup in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/de.danoeh.antennapod/files/CorruptedDatabaseBackup.db. It might be possible to repair most of the database but that requires some development experience. Because AntennaPod 2.1.1 contains some changes related to the database, I would be interested to know if the corruption happened just before the update or after the update. Would it be okay for you to send me the corrupted version? It might contain sensitive information (your exact subscriptions, etc), so (if you agree to send it) it would probably be best to do this via email. My address is info@<my user name>.com

Hi ByteHamster, thanks for the info. I’m afraid I can’t see a corrupted database file. Is the /emulated/0/Android folder different to the one I mentioned earlier? Like a hidden folder?

Hmm, does it disply something interesting on the “report bug” screen?

‘no crash report recorded’, nothing else interesting. I’ve deleted my media folder and re-subscribed to all the podcasts (I made a list first). Hopefully this doesn’t happen again next update!

Okay, thanks. I hope that it actually happened just before the update :slight_smile:

@ByteHamster Does Android clean up files during an update process? If yes, could we indicate corrupt database backups should be maintained? (This sounds like a corrupted database indeed, and it would be oddirf it wasn’t created in the first place - or do we only save this file since 2.1?)

Hey @ByteHamster, I have the same issue and I found the corrupted db file. Should I send it to you to analyse?

We have that backup code in place for a pretty long time. At least AntennaPod 1.8.x, I think.

Sad to hear that you are affected, too. It would be great if you could send it to me, yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @marcocucinato. I received your email. Unfortunately, that database is completely shattered. I can’t even find the version. Over the last few years, we have received some reports of database corruptions (see https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod/issues/2463) but the number of users affected is extremely small and it can not reliably be reproduced. That makes it really hard to track down :frowning: