I’m using one of those TV (HDMI) sticks, running a heavily customized version of Android 6.x. I managed to find a bunch of podcasts that I love. However, I can’t access the list of episodes, since there’s no way for me to scroll or touch the screen (it’s a regular monitor).
Suggested solution:
I’d love to see a toggle saying “No touchscreen” or something in that vein, allowing the GUI to be traversed with a “TV” remote (arrow buttons) instead.
TBH sounds like a very rare use case as I am thinking that most people will cast or use Bluetooth to play podcasts from their mobile or tablet on their TV.
You’re probably right about this being an edge case. I’m not suggesting to fix this if I’m the only one to benefit . Then again, since Android is pretty wide spread these days, I can imagine more edge cases like this popping up. We’ll see.
Besides, I’ve got no idea how hard this issue would be to tackle. I presume the GUI is based on some framework that currently might or might not support non touch requirements, but (even as a Java developer) I’m a bit out of my debt here.
I assume you only have arrow keys and no others, right? At some point it would be super nice to have a dedicated TV app, but that will probably take a long time. My next project when the playback service rewrite is finally stable will probably be a WearOS app