Voting Capability On Forums To Gauge User Interest/Feedback For Feature Requests

Have you guys ever considered some sort of “voting” capability here on the forums then to see what type of user interest/feedback there is for feature requests?

2 Likes

We haven’t introduced it so far, because even if we have voting, it’s not a guarantee it’ll be implemented like that (in that order) because all work is volunteer based and if there’s no (personal) interest it’s not likely to be done. So maybe enabling voting would give wrong expectations (?)

At the same time, it is a nice way for community members to express their opinion in a quick and satisfying way. And on GitHub we can already vote, so why not here.

How would you feel @ByteHamster if we install this plugin and enable it (only) on the Feature Request category?

1 Like

As a code contributor, it does help to see the number of votes on a topic outside of GitHub. Otherwise, I pick up work based on my own priority and painful bugs.

2 Likes

Which is not a bad way of approaching it as something you have a personal interest in is always going to be given your full attention,

3 Likes

I would vote to show appreciation of a proposal but that doesn’t mean I have any expectation of it being implemented. I believe some developers would think more about how to implement requests if a large number of users voted it. Surely it’s a good thing to know what’s most wanted?

1 Like

I just installed the plugin and enabled it for the Feature request category. I’m not fully convinced that it is useful because it might give users false hopes. Most developers probably won’t look at the votes. But maybe it feels more rewarding for users leaving a vote than leaving a like

3 Likes

I understand your points and appreciate your willingness to give it a try.