Where can I find db files and opml files after weird crash

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
AntennaPod version 2.6.2 (9e87cf611)
I assume I got it from Google Play but it was a long time ago.

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)

Device model:
Samsung Galaxy 7 edge (model: SM-G935FD)

Expected behaviour:
I expected all my 5,000+ subscriptions and podcasts to at least be in the database or whatever. I usually only download between 20 and 30 hours of podcasts a day, because I subscribe to way too much stuff.

Current behaviour:
It seem to behave normal but when I turned my phone off and on earlier today because it was acting flaky it came up as completely empty.

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)

Today
Steps to reproduce:
Hopefully, I can’t. I am just trying to locate wherever the current database and OPML list of podcasts is hidden - I have a backup from about a year ago but I’ve subscribed to a ton of stuff since then.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?) The main environment is I try to keep my database and downloaded podcasts on an sd card because the phone didn’t have enough space to hold everything I was downloading. I copied the contents of the card to my computer and there was a backup on the sd card but it was from a year ago. I am wondering if the actual database and list of podcasts is hidden someplace. I export the list every now and then but I haven’t done it in a while and I don’t think I can remember the names of all of them.

Hi @sapolion,

Sorry to hear about this. I would recommend to have a look at All my podcasts & episodes are gone – AntennaPod. See which of the steps you can follow, and don’t hesitate to chip in here to discuss and look at things together.

I have no experience with databases (yet), but wouldn’t mind giving it a go to see if I can be of any help.

Cheers
Keunes

Thanks for this. As mentioned I copied everything from my phone to my computer. So I have the media files, etc. I probably still have enough skills to repair the database but the file, CorruptedDatabaseBackup.db was empty.

It was very helpful because it reminded me where to look at the media files to see what podcasts I had been subscribed to. I subscribe to way too many podcasts which makes me wonder if that’s what breaks AntennaPod. As I said I had a back up from a year ago so I suspect that’s the last time it broke. Now the directory of the media files gives me a list of what I had been subscribed to when it vanished.

This is probably the wrong place to ask for a feature but I really need a way to automatically export the OPML list of subscription and the database even to just save it on my phone would be enough for me. I keep meaning to do it every month or so, but since I haven’t done it for a year I probably need to put it on a todo list someplace.

There supposedly is some kind of way to synchronize with a nextcloud instance. I don’t have the understanding how that works. Neither conceptually or practically. Do you think that could be of help for you?

That seems like extreme overkill. I lost some information and downloaded podcasts, but the loss was relatively minor and I probably can get it back. If I had monthly backups I wouldn’t have lost anything. Synchronizing with the cloud or with gpodder seems to be more complicated. All I really want or need is something to automate what I should be doing manually: going to Settings → Storage → Import/Export and exporting the database and the OPML to a directory on the phone or maybe to Dropbox. I had messed around with the option of exporting to Google Drive, but my problem isn’t the export and it isn’t the occasional phone crashing; it’s remembering to do it. Maybe I should look into synchronization but that seems like more than I want. Maybe I should just read “getting things done” and learn how to remember to do things.

That’s definitely a reading recommendation. A great book describing a decent system!

I feel your pain and have the same trouble. Previously I used a SailfishOS phone and had a backup automatically taken with cron once per night. On pure android I need to remember making them manually. I guess one could theoretically root the phone to get the job done, but that would also be extreme overkill. Please let us know if you find a convenient way.

Automatic local back-upnhas been requested by others also:

This is worrisome, though. @ByteHamster any idea about why the corrupted dB export might be empty?

Maybe the original file somehow got inaccessible or something, so it was impossible to copy. I don’t know

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.