Can I bring Google podcasts over since they are going away?

Google podcast player is going away in a few months and you were recommended. Is there a way to bring my podcasts over without adding each one individually? Thank you

1 Like

There is a tutorial here: Migrating from Google Podcasts to AntennaPod: why and how to do it – AntennaPod

7 Likes

Thought I’d mention that it’s even easier to get the OPML file now! They’ve added a notice in the Google Podcast app with a button to download the OPML file without having to visit Takeout.

4 Likes

Was limited to one image per post - here’s the notice that brought me to the above screen.

Thanks for letting us know @alyssajoy! I will update the blog post.

2 Likes

I came here as I’m moving from Google Podcast as well; but I can’t find out how to migrate my full database, including listening history, not just subscriptions?

Sadly I don’t think there is a way to export history from Google podcast. And even if there was as far as I know there is no way to import it to AntennaPod.

3 Likes

I cant see an option to export from google podcasts. I downloaded the file from takeout but got an error message when trying to import it.

Looks like there should be a Export Subscriptions option at the top of the home screen of the Google Podcasts app or website…

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/14151168?sjid=13165981077696896020-NC#zippy=%2Cdownload-your-subscriptions-as-an-opml-file

There isn’t an option to export subscriptions at the top of the app for me.

1 Like

If you downloaded the file from Takeout, you need to open it on a PC or file manager app and search for the subscriptions opml file inside the archive. You cannot import the zip file, just the opml file inside it.

I was able to export my OPML from Google podcasts, but it would not import into antennapod for some rea.

I pulled mine over and started using Castbox. Absolutely love it. Use it extensively daily.

Ty, Bill

1 Like

This sounds like the opml file is broken. Try re-downloading and extracting the zip file on a computer. If it still doesn’t work, feel free to send me the opml file (info@<my username>.com) and I can have a look.

Turns out Google generates invalid XML :frowning_face: If you open the file in a text editor and replace & with &amp; it should work.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

This issue on GitHub: Unable to import from Google Podcast OPML export · Issue #6884 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

@Jazz_Mine It seems that Google fixed the issues with the OPML files they export. If you haven’t moved over yet, you can try exporting the file from Google Podcasts and importing to AntennaPod again. It should work now.

I migrated over from Google Podcasts two days ago and exporting/importing the OPML worked perfectly. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

This feature is not available world-wide (yet) I think. I live in the Netherlands and this notice is not available, at least not in my Google Podcast app.

@Taeke Do you see an option to export your OPML here? https://podcasts.google.com/settings