Episodes screen proposal

Almost, i do sometimes switch between episodes and continue one laters, thats why, in my new episodesscreen, the paused ones are always displayed on top, see:

But sometimes i dont want to finsh an episode, then i would swipe it away :slight_smile:

i get that, but there is a regular user, and that is one that does not set any settings and in my opinion just wants a simple feed of all subscriptions, at least i think that is the expectation, you know, its the same on youtubes subscription feed or for that matter your e-mail app, theres just one feed where new episodes come in.

Depends there could be a default and you can change it or you force a choice in the beginning in the onboarding, but as i understood @ByteHamster and makes sense for me here too, the app should just work without a tutorial, so i think there should be a good default (this episodes screen :smiley: ) and then there could be a popup (like the one “You stream a lot, want to stream by default”) where the user can customize as he goes.

I’m not sure, do you think inbox and my episodes screen could be combined?
Customizable swipe actions would be easy, maybe on the first swipe the tutorial/settings could come up like “what do you want to happen”?
Would you keep the paused episodes ontop or would that break the inbox? (could be made optional if inbox workflow was selected before)
also does the inbox need to be empty at some point or dont you mind if there are a few old episodes lingering in there? (saw the clear inbox from your proposal)

This might just work, then we could have both :slight_smile:
Also i think the tutorial/settings on first swipe would provide a great opportunity to indroduce the queue to new users, really start to like this idea, maybe we could get some more feedback from different users :slight_smile:

Sounds like quite a change, but i think this could be a huge improvement!

To add to workflow from users : in my case I have about 30 subscriptions. I use new episodes to see which podcast has released new episode. For episodes I want to listen I initiate a download to add them to my queue. For others one I either keep them as new for later (but it’s not often I do that, only if my queue has really a lot of episodes) or dismiss them. If later on I catch up for some podcasts I check their episodes and download the next one I didn’t listen to.

Edit : so in my workflow, queue is really important since I manage it and often reorder it.

1 Like

Sorry, that’s not what I meant. I suggested to rename the “new” page to “Inbox” and move it to the sidebar instead of the tab on the episodes screen. When it then is its own screen, we can think about swipe actions.

+1

We already discussed something like this elsewhere. I don’t think it’s a good idea because when starting the app for the first time, users don’t know their preferred workflow yet. Anyway, this is another topic.

@Matth78 discovered it :wink: That’s also the exact same workflow I use

The home screen can help to guide users in how to use the app. If we order the elements similar to the queue workflow (which is how AntennaPod was originally designed to be used, I think), the users already get an idea on what to do when. They are still free to use other workflows, though.

Sounds like the queue with auto-download would be exactly your use-case. All newly released episodes are added to the bottom of the queue. When you don’t like one, you can swipe it away. You can even drag+drop them if you want to listen in another order. I don’t really understand what the advantage of your updated episodes screen would be over this. The queue is even more flexible.

1 Like

Ahhhh, ok :slight_smile: Now I get it, haha. Yes, makes sense. So there won’t be a ‘New’ tab in the Episodes screen. Just All, Favorites, On device. In this case, the Downloads screen would be dismantled: On device (previous Completed tab) would be under Episodes, Log would live under the Settings screen (possibly accessible also via a button in the On device tab, and of course via the notifications). Playback history I would tuck under the Queue and/or full Player screen.
Then we’d have:

• Home
  • Inbox
  • Queue
  • Episodes
  • Subscriptions
  • Add Podcast (which can be replaced with updated Discover screen)
  • [All podcasts]
  • Settings

What d’you think @Bytehamster?

Main advantage is not to use the sidebar (one hand), also thats not really my workflow. I often dont even get to complete an episode in one go, so i always choose the episode i want to listen to based on the current mood, therefore i have really no use for the queue. But i get why one would want the queue if you are commuting a lot or something, i just think it isn’t the default expectation (see yt) and should be better explained :slight_smile:

But its not just about my personal preference, its also about versatility for different use-cases, i think the one list and filter aproach is better because you dont need to switch screens so often.

And in the current version, its fully compatible with the inbox use case!
Maybe this video helps explain it a little bit better

The firstswipe would be a great opertunity to indroduce the inbox/queue pattern with a small infographic and give the user the choice to change the swipe actions to whatever they prefer.

But you could have all new episodes added to the queue automatically. Then from there you can play, pause and/or swipe away. It lists also your paused episodes. I think that was ByteHamster’s proposal for your use-case. That way you can keep your workflow, but with the existing screens. You just always use the queue, and don’t need to switch screens either.

But i do want to scroll back, because maybe i want to listen to a episode from last week, i see the queue more like a playlist, no?

I don’t agree (with the default expectation). AntennaPod is more like a music player where you listen a playlist. Besides default setting is to download not to stream. I also think all podcasts players use queue(s) but I might be wrong! :sweat_smile:

I have no problem with “all episodes” screen to be enhanced with filter and swipe but I don’t think it’s how most users manage their episodes.
When thinking about it the one thing lacking is ability to quickly switch to episodes screen from queue in one tap. And it would be perfect if there was a visual cue when there is new episodes.
In your case it would need to be customizable so you could choose to quickly go to all episodes (and not new). If it was maybe queue could also be more useful to you?

1 Like

It is kind of a playlist. But if all episodes of all podcasts you’re subscribed to are added to it, you have what you need. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to scroll back and listen to an episode from last week? As long as you don’t swipe it away, it can still be there waiting for you.

I think of it less like a music player and more like a subscription feed like youtube - either way, i think, however great, the queue workflow shouldn’t be forced, the user should be able to learn und discover this functionality if he maybe uses AP like i do, and who knows, maybe some day i’ll use the queue, i’m just not there right know.

So i think removing tabs from Episodes and having the floating quickfilters at the bottom instead is a good idea, irrespective of the discussion above (enables customizable two directional swipe actions and is easier to use with one hand).

Actually having a seperate Inbox tab, might be a good idea to make it more distinct. I still would open a small infographic and a link to swipeactions settings on the very first swipe to introduce the queue workflow to help new users. :slight_smile:

Is there a way you could agree to a modified episodes screen or do you absolutly want to keep the tabs?
I would offer to do the Inbox screen as well then (as i basically already have all the code for bidirectional swiping and so on).

I generally like it but I would not change so much at once. After just switching the new/history screen, we should probably wait at least half a year, so users can adapt to the change. Doing too many changes at once will probably lead to annoyed users. The list is missing the “playback history” screen, by the way.

We could say the same about the “subscription feed”/“episodes screen” workflow :slight_smile:

Well you don’t have to, you can use the queue, what I’m saying either way it should be optional/complementary.

So i think removing tabs from Episodes and having the floating quickfilters at the bottom instead is a good idea, irrespective of the discussion above (enables customizable two directional swipe actions and is easier to use with one hand).

Is there a way you could agree to a modified episodes screen or do you absolutly want to keep the tabs?
I would offer to do the Inbox screen as well then (as i basically already have all the code for bidirectional swiping and so on).

1 Like

I find it much more comfortable for mobile phones to use the alternative that you propose in this pull request.

1 Like

For me it would be OK to move the tabs/filters to the bottom. @Matth78 has a valid concern, though:

Also, the relying on icons only should be done with caution, warns Google in its Material Design Guidelines:

With tabs you can’t have swipe actions.

IMHO filters are more easy to understand instead of multiple near identical tabs where its hard to even see the difference (at least for me).

Of course the icons should be chosen wisely (current ones are just placeholders), but as you know, a icon says more than a thousand words.

Also just using the filters quickly shows you what they do, especially for new users the empty description will provide useful information (like “No favorites - select an episode with a long tap and mark it as a favorite”).

@Matth78 the current Filter Dialog available in the toolbar is kept of course, so you can still filter. Would encourage you to just try the PR, the quickfilters do provide a very nice way to use the Episodes screen, especially with one hand :wink:

It just happens I tried this morning!
I felt it would be better to have filter accessible from top bar and not inside 3 dots menu. Yet I know it probably be vetoed because there is already 2 buttons.

About quick access with bottom icons what I feel not good is that it’s hovering above episodes and that make it harder to notice. I don’t mean it shouldn’t be, it’s just my reaction.
Being said why not using tab bar and instead of having tabs having your icons to filter?

All in all I don’t mind too much as long it can be quickly filtered (with one tap) to show only new episodes and be able to quickly switch between all / new / favorites.
When trying to filter with your bottom bar it didn’t work. I am not sure if I correctly interpreted icon meaning. :-/

What I am not keen on is having both an episodes entry and an inbox one. I know @keunes will rant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but right now I still don’t see inbox as anything else than episodes screen filtered.

So tabs are really hard to reach with one hand and to use tabs to filter (not to have different screens/pages) is breaking this design pattern, which will really be confusing people.

I think floating actions are familiar from the action button and I doubt that the quickfilters will be unnoticed long (that’s ok though, it does take some time for a new user to learn all the features in an app).

I think making inbox separate does make a lot of sense because it is a different workflow than Episodes screen and especially with the title “Inbox” I believe it will be a lot easier to understand what it is. (Also separate screens can be hidden in the settings :wink:

The quickfilters are: all / just unplayed / downloaded / favorites
So that should work, there are a few bugs with swiping that would need to be fixed, if this is to move forward.