As part of another thread there was a discussion about the big changes coming up, and the fact that they would be too big to land all in a few steps for users to keep up.
With the following notes:
- Episodes screen: no more New tab (replaced by new Inbox screen) - will only have All, Favorites, On device
Downloads screen to be dismantled
- ‘Completed’ tab is replaced by the ‘On device’ tab in the Episodes screen
- ‘Log’ tab is moved under the settings (possibly accessible also via a button in the On device tab, and of course via the notifications)
- Playback history screen would put behind an action bar button in the Queue and/or full Player screen (less accessible, but still good enough I think, major actor Spotify has the history behind an action button too, but on their Home screen, which could also work)
To which @ByteHamster replied:
To keep the other discussion in the other thread focussed and on point, I’m creating this thread for the discussion on longer-term planning of big changes.
We’re now at version 2.2 - biggest UX/UI change was the introduction of the tabs on the Player screen (previously: dots too subtle for visually impaired).
Version 2.3 will introduce an updated Player screen that will remove the just-introduced tabs (#5075) - at least I’d propose to introduce it asap as to avoid users getting used to an intermediary solution.
It would be great if it would also include the updated episode selection mechanism/screen (#5130), as it greatly enhances the experience without disrupting the UX too much (we’re moving to a widely applied/recognised pattern).
After, I would go about it in this order:
- add Discover screen. It can be helpful especially to new users. (And might create some PodcastIndex buzz.) But no work on this has started yet, and I don’t believe anyone has indicated interest in its development, yet.
- add Inbox screen, which would also imply a change to the Episodes screen (removal of New tab). It adds an extra entry in the sidebar menu.
- remove Download screen, which would also imply a change to the Episodes screen (adding of On device tab). (Also it moves the Log to the settings, but that’s less impactful UX-wise.) It removes one entry in the sidebar menu.
- add Home screen. Helpful to new users as well as existing, but relies on implementation of other screens
- move Playback history screen to somewhere else (Home, Queue, and/or Player screen)