Italian website-translation

I’m sorry everyone I missed this (I was on holiday in… Italy). Many thanks all for your efforts!
@loucasal, if you happy to have a look at the test version here it is:

Where can we report errors? There is one on the first sentence

“da a te il controllo” should be “dà a te il controllo”
(dà has an accent, otherwise it’s a totally different word)

1 Like

Mistakes/Improvement suggestions can be reported here, or directly in Weblate on the respective string (as a comment).

Hello all and welcome back @keunes - I hope you enjoyed the Bel Paese.
I spent some time going through the translation today. Here are my comments/queries:

@keunes:

1. I left a few comments on source strings where I spotted typos or ambiguities.
  2. While checking the translation, I spotted an issue with some headers being split on different lines/styles on the Privacy Policy page. I see now that live translations are also affected. Do you want me to file an issue?
  3. Another possible issue - when using the search box on the documentation page, items are displayed in EN despite having been translated (and clicking on them switches the user language to EN). Again, I can file an issue if this is new.
  4. Could you confirm whether internal website paths in strings should (or should not) be localised? Some of them had been localised, but I suggested to keep them in EN as that’s what the currently available languages did.

@mateyesub/@Moloch981:

1. Well done to you and any other anonymous contributors on the good work! It made the review a smooth process. I added both suggested changes and some comments where needed, mainly to address inconsistencies vis-à-vis the app or between different strings/components. Only in a couple of cases I saved my changes directly (because I misclicked), but they were minor corrections anyway.
  2. Once any issues with the source strings are addressed, we should decide who takes care of the final adjudication step (i.e. accepting/rejecting the proposed changes). It’s better if the same person does it throughout to ensure a consistent approach. Would you like me to do it?

PS: I now see what all the Weblate fuss was about - nice tool indeed! :smiley:

1 Like

Grazie @loucasal! It really was a lovely break :slight_smile:

I just had a quick look, and will look into it a bit deeper later. I guess most comments will be for you folks to look at. I’ll be sure to check the comments on the source strings. Please also ‘resolve’ comments that are dealt with (i.e. the translation is updated) :slight_smile: (Not sure if anyone can do that actually - let me know if not.)

To quickly check find the strings with comments, it’s easiest to open a component, and click on the ‘Strings with comments’ link under the status list:

If you could create GitHub issues for point 2 & 3, @loucasal, that’d be great :slight_smile: Then I’ll have a look when I have more time.

For point 4: The link text should be translated, but the ‘slug’ (URL) should not be changed, because the webpage URLs are always in English and the language code in the URL is added automatically. (Does that answer your question?)

Issues 158 and 159 filed.

Thanks, that clarifies. My suggestions in this regard will have to be accepted then.

@TeamItaly: you will see that regarding the translated strings I entered more suggestions than comments. If you think anything requires further discussion, feel free to tag me directly on Weblate.

1 Like

Ho fatto alcune modifiche accogliendo ogni tanto i suggerimenti e aggiungendo commenti.
Non ho capito come si arriva a dare l’ok definitivo a una stringa

Non so se è più pratico comunicare qui, perché con i commenti di là non ci sto capendo molto. Oltre tutto non si riesce a capire chi modifica cosa e perché. Credo che “accettando” un suggerimento quello si sostituisca automaticamente alla traduzione presente.

Scusate per i tanti messaggi.

Una cosa che non avevo sempre notato traducendo è che, dove viene indicato un percorso, ad es. (invento) Impostazioni » Download » Elimina, in italiano ha “tradotto” » con " (Impostazioni " Download " Elimina), che ovviamente in questo contesto immagino non abbia senso (non si tratta infatti di virgolette vere e proprie ma di una specie di “freccia verso destra” in questo caso).

Man mano che le incontro le sto modificando. Per favore se trovate qualche " modificatela pure in » (ALT+187 oppure copiate e incollate dall’inglese).

1 Like

Grazie della segnalazione, ne ho trovate e corrette alcune.

Un’altra sottigliezza: in alcuni punti sarebbe preferibile inserire “non breaking space” anziché spazi normali, anche se non presenti nell’originale. Per farlo, c’è il pulsante “NBS” nell’interfaccia di Weblate. Un esempio: tra “open” e “source” nel footer.

Per vedere dove ne servono altri, dovremmo controllare direttamente come viene impaginata la traduzione (ma forse sarà ancora meglio farlo quando abbiamo una versione finale).

Yeah, we had the same in French. That’s probably because of the machine translations which are suggested automatically (I need to look into those auto-suggestions).

Not sure if Deepl gave me the correct understanding, but normally the ‘test’ version will look/be exactly the same as the ‘live’ version to be (except the bar at the bottom added by Netlify).

That’s a good point actually. Maybe we should specify (via CSS) for the slogan in the footer that it should be not-breaking.

I wasn’t clear :slight_smile: I meant a final version of our localised strings (as line breaks might differ from what is currently online).

Re your earlier question:

I checked and we cannot resolve/delete comments other than our own. But I guess we can post here once everything is ready.

1 Like

ahhh, ok :slight_smile:

I gave you the Reviewers role which should give you slightly more permissions. I believe it is not possible, though, to give anyone permissions to resolve others’ comments (without giving the Admin role in the project). I have created an issue for Weblate to request this option.

Wow, allowing reviewers to resolve comments has been added now to Weblate - that was fast. So you should be able to resolve comments @loucasal. If anyone else wants to be able to do this, please let me know.

2 Likes

Thanks @keunes - that was quick indeed. Things should already look much more tidy.

Please let us know if you make changes to the source strings based on our comments and we will amend if needed (unfortunately as a translator/reviewer, I do not have a general overview of comments made on source strings, but hopefully you do).

I also spotted the issue with breadcrumbs, but I see that one is already known (issue 136).

1 Like

It seems that searching on ‘has comment’ does the trick:

(Only downside is that once you click on a search result, the next/previous buttons work only within the context of the component, not across the whole project.)

Will have a look at those source string comments.

A post was split to a new topic: Website text corrections/improvements

Hi @loucasal, many thanks for spotting all those typos :slight_smile: I created a PR with the corrections that I could immediately make: General textual corrections & improvements by keunes · Pull Request #161 · AntennaPod/antennapod.github.io · GitHub. For the comments I wasn’t too sure about, I created the new thread linked above (with the idea to include them in the PR as well, insofar possible).

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up!

I think Weblate intentionally displays different comments under that query depending on your role. You (as an administrator) see all comments on source strings, I see comments on translated ones.

Is it possible to know if/when the translated site will go live?
I don’t mean to rush you, just curious.