Monthly community call!

Hi @community-callers,

This Saturday another community call is scheduled. ByteHamster & I will be present for sure - would be lovely to see some other folks join as well. Some things we can discuss:

• quick updates on:
    • 10-year anniversary (incl. my to-do ^^)
    • the user research we’re running
    • visual identity developments
  • upcoming 2.7 release
  • bottom navigation proposal (related to bottom navigation forum thread)
  • progress of the Home screen (cc @ueen)

Sounds like a very interesting agenda. In the (likely) event I cannot connect, feel free to ping if there are tasks where help is needed! I have already completed the survey.

1 Like

A quick recap of yesterday’s call:

• We had a new person join us so we did some introductions :slight_smile:
  • I did the updates I described above. Maybe to highlight one: visual identity developments.
    About 2 years ago we got a new logo (our current one). However, we have no SVG version and no monochrome version of it. As we don’t have the skills in the team to produce that and two community contributors made some progress but didn’t finish it, I contacted Freehive (who have made awesome videos for Gnome & Ubuntu). They very kindly agreed to help us out pro-bono as we’re a small community-driven open source project. We’ve met in a call 2 times to identify the goals/objectives, and will kick-start the actual process in 3 weeks (when I’m back from holiday). So by October or so we should have a slightly tweaked logo that is ready for any kind of use we imagine, as well as some brand guidelines (which will help me make visuals, e.g. for on social media).
  • Talking about the upcoming 2.7 release, we did some live-testing of the updated Episodes screen (using the awesome tool scrcpy). The screen update removes the Favourites tab and replaces it with a icon-button in the top bar to quickly toggle favourite filter - very nice! @ByteHamster noted some things to look at :slight_smile:
  • Continuing on the topic of filters, @terminalmage brought up the concept of Global filters, as a way to filter out played episodes pretty much everywhere. From discussions we concluded that such global filter should apply only to the individual podcasts screens (so not to Episodes), and identified the UX for ‘overriding’ global filters for a particular podcast. @terminalmage will create a GitHub issue for this.
  • We briefly touched upon Remember playback speed per Feed #5850. Conclusion: this will probably lead to unexpected behaviour. We’ll write an explanation and then close the feature request.
  • We discussed the bottom navigation proposal which I made in PenPot. I didn’t know but the bottom navigation bar is a standard component in Material Design 3. To have as little work as possible, we´ll stay close to the standard design (and I’ll update the proposal accordingly).

And that was it! We didn’t get to talk about the Home screen. An hour flies by!

2 Likes

Hey, sorry I missed the call, like that filters are back in the conversation, in my opinion a combination of home and some form of quickfilters might also remove the need for bottomnavigation, so I would work in that direction :slight_smile:
Let me know if you need further input, before the winter I won’t be able to code much unfortunately :confused:

1 Like

Hi @community-callers,

Coming Saturday there’s another meeting scheduled! Some things we can cover:

• update on user research
  • plans/ideas for 2.8/3.0 release
  • feedback on the updated bottom navigation proposal & implementation plan/feasibility
  • ongoing discussions on standardised cross-app synchronisation (via APIs) cc @JonOfUs

And of course any other topic that’s brought up by anyone attending :slight_smile:

If this call is at the same time as last month (17:00 UTC) I will be at my son’s soccer game and won’t be able to make it. I was hoping to get some more eyes on a recent annoyance since the release of Android 13: [Android 13] Artwork sometimes does not update on notification drawer media player - #6 by terminalmage

I just opened a bug report on Github to track this: Android 13 notification area media player background image is not updating properly · Issue #6063 · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

I’m happy to take a look at fixing this if I can be pointed at the right files to check.

2 Likes

I don’t know what could be causing this, only on Android 13. I guess PlaybackService would be the class to start looking at

1 Like

Hi @community-callers,

It’s Hacktoberfest - a great time to convene online :slight_smile: Also, Howard has done user research for us (in the context of download & deletion automation), which he kindly offered to present.

However, @ByteHamster said he wouldn’t be able to join, and considering the last point I think it’d be good if he would be there :slight_smile:

I’ll share a doodle the coming days so we can find a better day/time.

2 Likes

Hello @community-callers,

A kind reminder that there will be NO COMMUNITY CALL TODAY. Instead, we’re finding another date, so many people can join the presentation about the user research.

After checking with ByteHamster (maintainer) and Howard (UX research), I’ve identified a couple of dates over a period of a week. The three of us are available on all of these dates in the doodle, and I’d be curious to see who else could join when!

Let’s pick the date latest Wednesday 13th. Hope the poll will get some replies and we’ll be able to see some of you again :slight_smile:

I voted but please weigh less my availability as I am no help on coding. I am interested to know what is planned and about UX but if I can’t come but it’s easier for everyone else don’t hesitate. :smiley:

1 Like

@cos @tonytamsf @ueen If you guys still want to cast your vote in the doodle, please do so by tomorrow. In the evening (Brussels time) I’ll pick a date.

I’ve seen a sneak peek of the User Research presentation and I found it really cool. So I want to make sure as many of us have the chance to join and pick up some food for thought. I’m sure it’ll be valuable also outside of AntennaPod :slight_smile:

Hi all, @community-callers,

From the doodle it seems that 16:00 CEST / 07:00 PDT on Saturday 22 October is the best option :slight_smile:

So let’s get together then!

1 Like

Hi @community-callers,
I won’t be able to join this community meeting. For those who (might) join: FOSDEM is coming up (4-5 Feb) and with our 10-year anniversary in the pocket, version 3.0 coming up and rebranding getting closer (meaning we can start printing stickers) I was thinking it would be cool to be present! So that might be a nice topic to discuss. Just meet with folks? Maybe even people would be up to be at an AntennaPod stand? (I would, but not alone. And I live in Brussels so I can host people. We can request a stand space until coming Tuesday.)

Cheers!

Not sure about the call myself (depends on the agenda), but I am available to help out for the event and don’t need hosting. I have never been to FOSDEM, so I leave it to you to determine if having a stand would be worthwhile. :slight_smile:

So, last time the call didn’t happen. This Saturday there would be another one and I’d be keen to join & see some of the other faces as well :slight_smile:

For topics, I would propose:

• Quick review of the Events section on the site (shameless plugging of own work)
  • Some discussions from the Alpha release of 3.0 (if there are any)
  • Sneak peak of the branding refresh that will come with 3.0
  • Initial multiple queues discussion (?)
  • Quick check on Open Podcast API

But as always: please do suggest other points/PRs/Feature Requests that we can discuss.

1 Like

I didn’t dare requesting one without commitment from others, so I didn’t. But I can still host people and we can still organise an AntennaPod get-together. And the good thing is that we’ve got time still.

Quick update from the call: we were with 5 and discussed:

2 Likes

Hi @community-callers,
Let’s meet again this Saturday. Following a vacancy/blog post, @femmdi contacted us and stepped up as translations coordinator! I’m very happy we have him on board. He’ll join us and introduce himself!
We should probably discuss the release of version 3.0 (getting closer!). And of course any other topics/PRs/Feature requests that come up :slight_smile:

Hope to see you!

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Swipe gesture to open navigation bar

It seems we didn’t announce the February community call :speak_no_evil:. We did meet though!

This Saturday is another chance! We’re super close to releasing 3.0 to the general public, so I’m sure we’ll get to talk about that. I just had a look at some open PRs - maybe we can have a look at the ‘end of episode sleep timer’? Also there’s this interesting conversation on Mastodon about the <itunes:type> tag.