Podcasts skipping back and over content during stream

Reporting back after another 2 weeks. The issue only happened once after playing 35 episode of 13 different podcasts. So less than 3%. When I was having the issue more often it was pretty much random on every podcasts I listen to.
I am using the F-Droid version 3.4.0f(5f5d744e7)
I download all the episodes I listen to. I never stream. And downloading one at a time seems to have improved my chances of not having this issue.

Same problem with Goalhanger production ‘Football Cliches’. Repeat of 3 minutes of content around middle of pod then missing 3 minutes at end.

Checked other pod players and some had same issue whilst others didn’t.

something to do with ad inserts is my guess

Ive been having this exact problem since I migrated from Google Podcasts. I only stream episodes, never download. Every podcast I listen to will skip back about 1-ish minute around the midway point of playtime & that same amount of time is chopped off the end of the episodes.
This is across multiple pod channels; Ologies, MBMBAM, Really Good Stuff, The Bald and the Beautiful, Tales from the Stinky Dragon, The Besties.

Im using a Pixel 7, android version 14. Version 3.4.1 of AntennaPod.

I have the same issue. Is there any plane when you can make a fix for this problem?

I think whoever said it might be inserted ads may be on to something. I noticed it does not happen at all on the two podcasts I listen to that have zero ads inserted.

For me it seems like the same, I had the problem not at podcasts without ads.

This reminds me of something I observed a year or two ago when I was still using Google Podcasts. I had the impression that it might be related to ads in podcasts that I had downloaded weeks or months earlier, and wondered if the servers had changed the ads they were pushing. My hunch was that if the length or location of the ads being pushed had changed since I downloaded the episode I could see issues like this.

I never investigated the issue further, but I’m Googling it now and finding similar reports with other platforms. People in this Apple forum are seeing it on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254526619?sortBy=rank

None of that diminishes what some people are seeing via AntennaPod, but this kind of thing is clearly seen with multiple podcasts, players, and servers. I have to wonder if anyone in the greater podcasting universe has attempted a comprehensive survey, collecting information that might narrow things down to particular servers, players, podcasts, and user flows.

So having listened to the same episode on various platforms I am not sure either is “ad placement”

I understand this app is free and I am not clever enough to propose a solution so all I can do is :roll_eyes:

Not sure if this problem is being addressed - Just to add a couple of other observations: it doesn’t just happen near the beginning or near as placements - just experienced it at 2:49:17 in a long podcast. It’s not about sensing an online interruption - menu times it’s a skip forward. Also, it’s persistent - that is, if I rewind and try again, the skip stays in its original spot. Downloading will fix it - but not immediately. Until I close AP and reopen it, the problem remains (could be why some folks think that downloading doesn’t help)
Hope this helps

1 Like

Is it global?

I am in England (on England?)

I am experiencing the same issue with a variety of podcasts.
When listening in Amazon music or Spotify it does not happen
My device is a Samsung A70.

Any Update If the developers are working in this problem or see this Bug? Because I really Like Antennapod, but with this problem it can’t be used on a good level.

As you can see, the developers are very aware of these reports, and are working the issue as best as they are able based on difficulties in duplicating the issue. The most important thing right now is for people experiencing the issue to thoroughly document it, especially if they can consistently reproduce the issue. I.E.: Phone model, OS version, AntennaPod version, are episodes being downloaded or streamed, which podcast(s) are exhibiting the behavior, at which point is the issue being seen, etc.

1 Like

@ByteHamster and I discussed this again.

We think it’s got to do with the caching in combination with advertising being added or disappearing between plays.

For example: I play and cache one version with ads, pause, then play again and cache a version without ads. At that point your existing timestamp is ‘later’ in the actual podcast.

There’s 2 components at play here: OkHttp (it fetch the file using the protocol) & Media player (which orchastrates the buffering & caching).

OkHttp was updated to a newer version when we had the issue with podcast hanging at 17 minutes. Maybe this introduced a change that causes servers not to recognise any-more that we’re requesting more of the same file.

Or, maybe the servers of some hosts changed something in the way cache/serve files.

Now we give the media player the following instructions for buffering:

• minimum buffer of 1 hour
  • maximum buffer of 3 hours
  • backbuffer (keep in cache the audio that’s already played): 5 minutes

We’re hoping that by buffering/caching (more or less) whole episodes, the suspected differences in received files gets eliminated. This will be included in 3.5.0-beta3.

4 Likes

I was happy today to test this with 3.5.0 beta3, but but when I look in the Player Screen at the progress bar, only the next so 10-15 minutes are being loaded (the dark gray in the progress bar, that indicates the buffering in streaming). Skipping to a further point in the episode and it is buffering again.
I played the first episode of the American Girls podcast series, and it stops before the last 4-5 minutes of the end when streaming. :slightly_frowning_face:

Thought I would share - I have been using Podcast Addict recently due to this issue, and while listening to “The Rest is Politics” I am finding that exactly the same issue is happening (steam skips back and forwards, and cuts off the end). So doesn’t seem to be isolated to AntennaPod, at least for that podcast.

1 Like

Same problem here.
I stream episodes on a Pixel 8 Pro.

Same problem.
Streaming on a Pixel 8 pro.
When a podcast section repeats usually that episode will be cut short.

I just got the same problem again using v3.5.0 (300baf6dd). That version is supposed to be fixed, isn’t it?

Happened around the 15 min mark in a 4h35min long podcast that I started yesterday, listened to up to minute 11, then went back to minute 5 and continued from there (typical sleep timer). Podcast was streamed, not downloaded.

I don’t know anything about how it works but is it possible streaming problems are caused with AntennaPod always asking bytes after the one that had been cached ?

Would the problem still there if AntennaPod where using a time position then cache ?